Thread: Eastman 815 replacement tuners

Default Eastman 815 replacement tuners

Can someone recomend good quality replacement tuners for an Eastman 815 mandolin ?
    Tuners that will fit the holes spacing perfectly. Thanks.

Default Re: Eastman 815 replacement tuners

I believe my Eastmans came with Schaller tuners, all work perfectly

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

What do you find lacking in your current tuners? I can’t recall anyone complaining about the tuners on a mapndolin this far up the Eastman chain.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well, technically they are good. Turn very smooth and so on. I just feel that recently this mandolin is slipping out of tune more and more.
    I might actually do a thorough setup before I blame it on the tuners. Check all string slots and so on.

This is also a curiosity question, theoretically what tuner brands (if any) would fit the mesurements of the schaller that it has on, so that one could just do an easy swap without having to fill and redrill any holes.

Quote Originally Posted by gummia View Post
    Well, technically they are good. Turn very smooth and so on. I just feel that recently this mandolin is slipping out of tune more and more.
    I might actually do a thorough setup before I blame it on the tuners. Check all string slots and so on.

This is also a curiosity question, theoretically what tuner brands (if any) would fit the mesurements of the schaller that it has on, so that one could just do an easy swap without having to fill and redrill any holes.
    Almost any tuners that you replace them with will require filling and drilling screw holes. While the post holes are fairly standardized now, screw positions are not.

well, filling screw holes and drilling new is no problem. wondering if the post spacing is the same between brands.

As long as it is a major maker, they should be the same for the posts, but best to measure just in case.
    Most versions of the MD-815 have "worm under" tuners, so that is the type you will need to buy if you do replace them.
    My bet is that lubricating the nut slots with graphite from a pencil will fix the problem though.

8. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

gummia 

I'll look into that. I made the nut on it myself and fitted and slotted a CA bridge as well. So any issues with slots are 100% my fault, haha.
    Although they are just as shallow as I could possibly make them, about half the string in the slot.

Major maker isn't the issue, a while back Kentucky started using an odd spaced set of tuners on the KM-150. I have no idea if they changed or not yet. As far as the Eastman's go, I'd still measure the post spacing. The post spacing should be .906" or 23.01 mm post center to post center.

The other thing you want to consider is the length of the stem on the worm gear. If the drilling for the post holes is too far from the edge the buttons might hit when tuning. Stewmac along with several others have the dimensions and diagrams of tuners on their site.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Tuners are about the last place to look for tuning issues. The first? Strings, then nut slots. The tuners on my 1913 A1 have a ridiculous amount of play in the direction they don’t need to work. Get tension on them and they work fine.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1