Thread: D'addario String Comparison Video

Default D'addario String Comparison Video

Well... it was time to change the strings on my new Collings MF5... I feel like one of the most exhausting things about a new instrument is finding out which strings pair well with it... anyways, I decided to take a night and just try a bunch of different D'addario strings back to back and see if any stood out... I made a video if anybody is interested in the tone differences. Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIB_4HkEYrQ&t=262s

2. The following members say thank you to rwesleycarr for this post:

Default Re: D'addario String Comparison Video

I think the differences in that video are pretty subtle even listening through high end cans with outside D/A conversion. There is a difference but I don't know if I could say which is 'better' for what you're playing. Through earbuds on a phone, I doubt I could hear any meaningful difference at all. The uncoated EJ74 seem a little brighter and might cut better in a group. The coated EXP74CM, a bit mellower and 'rounder' a bit more low mid. The new D'addario XT XTM11540 which I've never played myself, seem kind of in the middle? maybe?
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    I think the differences in that video are pretty subtle even listening through high end cans with outside D/A conversion. There is a difference but I don't know if I could say which is 'better' for what you're playing. Through earbuds on a phone, I doubt I could hear any meaningful difference at all. The uncoated EJ74 seem a little brighter and might cut better in a group. The coated EXP74CM, a bit mellower and 'rounder' a bit more low mid. The new D'addario XT XTM11540 which I've never played myself, seem kind of in the middle? maybe?
    I totally agree. That's where I felt it was too. Same thing for feel. I really like the XT's and I guess they're supposed to replace the EXP's? I don't know if that means they're going to be discontinuing them? I could see where somebody would still want the feel and tone of the EXP's.

I've been told that they are discontinuing the EXP's so it is either uncoated or the crisper sounding XT's. The plain strings sounded best to me and to my surprise.

Just took off a set of XT Daddarios after about 2 months. They were still pretty good but I really prefer the feel and tone of Daddario Monels. I used the XT strings on two different F5 mandos and went back to Monel on both.

I play at least one hour a day.

Now if they would just offer a set of Monels in 11.5 16 26 40 instead of 11 15 26 40.