Thread: Stradolin or copy?

Default Stradolin or copy?

I got this guy off ebay, no label at all except “made in japan” sticker on the back of the peg head. It looks a lot like the stradolins I see posted - same shape, pickguard, bridge and tailpiece. But the f-holes are a style I’ve never seen and i think most (all?) stradolins have some kind of logo on the head.

Is this a real stradolin or some kind of Japanese copy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	680586CB-6AB7-4CC0-BD07-D40F2985C8FE.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	181259
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87379FE9-C8C6-47FB-AB35-2B9C2EBB2E2F.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	370.9 KB 
ID:	181254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B853FBC7-1654-4171-B264-AC3A31DEB9A5.jpeg 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	181256  

Default Re: Stradolin or copy?

It looks very much like the far eastern mandolins that were copies of the Kay pear-shaped mandolin style. They seems to appear with all manner of names after Kay folded in 1968. A photo of the tuners would assist but I think it is definitely a Kay clone.

Ah, that makes sense. I don’t really know the history of these makers that well. This is the back of the peghead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05A5C309-AF32-4865-881C-1FAF8C77DBC3.jpeg 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	181267

Here is one of those "Kay" mandolins- but not from the original company but from one of the revivals selling far eastern versions- the same happened with the Harmony company- the name was revived and the instruments were imports.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kay-Mandoli...QAAOSwh4tdzb44

You can always tell real Strad-o-Lin’s by the segmented f holes. This one doesn’t have it. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, there is an s shaped hole with a round one just above and below it.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A
    Fender Octave Mandolin c.2004-2008

I know what you mean - that’s why I wondered about this originally, it didn’t have that style of f-holes. I didn’t know that all Stradolins do. Thanks for the info!

It's one of these. They were imported under dozens of names and many without labels. Available weekly on eBay.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Trying, trying to "wrap" my mind around what I just read.......

Ok, when given a choice between an original USA mandolin that commonly sells for $100-150 or an import copy, the buyer choses the copy?

Ain't eBay great.........

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    You can always tell real Strad-o-Lin’s by the segmented f holes. This one doesn’t have it. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, there is an s shaped hole with a round one just above and below it.

I think the last time this was discussed there were at least three different segmented f hole styles on Strad-O-Lins. One of them uses round holes, two other use comma shaped holes if I recall. The Strad-O-Lin Social Group has pictures of plenty of them if anyone wants to go though it again. As far as I recall they are all segmented.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.