Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Default Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    Keep an eye on Reverb! They are already showing up on the used market, albeit at new prices.

Thanks,
    Baron
    Recent prices paid on Reverb:
    Date-------Condition----Price
    4/7/2020 Excellent $525
    3/3/2020 Very Good $445
    2/20/2020 Excellent $599
    2/1/2020 Excellent $499
    1/24/2020 Excellent $599
    12/24/2019 Mint $550
    12/17/2019 Mint $645

Finally got round to playing the Fender tele tenor a wee bit.

They are all through an old 90s Fender Blues valve amp, and in one video I introduced a wee bit of the BOSS Blues Driver pedal.

But there are a whole range of sounds within it.

This last one has the BOSS pedal introduced half way through ….

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Dave Sheets

Snagged one on closeout from Sam Ash, in blue. It needed some nut work to get it to play in tune. Also a bit noisy, I need to line the cavity with copper foil. Probably still needs more setup, but the construction is good. Nice sound through a tube amp. A lot of fun at the price.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post

This last one has the BOSS pedal introduced half way through ….
    wow that's so very different from my Manson, which is a thru neck design. It has a whole different punchy sound. I don't have any single coil tenors to hand (the eastwoods are a bit crap for different reasons - i don't like the wide fretboard on the WE, or the electrics on the Classic). One day I'll get a two pickup one made, ONE DAY!!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

7. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Keep an eye on Reverb! They are already showing up on the used market, albeit at new prices.

Thanks,
    Baron
    Another used one sold today for $675.

Used Butterscotch Blonde for sale $665 +$45 shipping.

Maybe I got a dud, but my fender tenor tele came with a lot of issues that are starting to worsen. Nasty string buzz I can't quite figure out, some really rough fret work, super high action. and some minor appearance flaws. Super disappointing...

Quote Originally Posted by EJMUSIC View Post
    Maybe I got a dud, but my fender tenor tele came with a lot of issues that are starting to worsen. Nasty string buzz I can't quite figure out, some really rough fret work, super high action. and some minor appearance flaws. Super disappointing...
    More's the pity. At least you can sell it without losing too much or perhaps any money; it's so sought after.

I took a chance and ordered a second one through a seller on Amazon a few months ago, and the neck pick-up didn't work when I got it (whether it was shipped in that state or merely arrived that way is hard to know). The balance also felt off compared to my Fiesta Red. At least the return was pretty painless, though, since it was clearly not in full functioning order.

Ever the optimist, I succumbed to temptation once again when Elderly finally got their stock in. That LPB arrived in early-ish March and was in pristine condition -- and it felt really well-balanced, just like my first one -- so I've got two in different tunings now and am still enjoying the heck out of them.

Mine sounded rough out of the box but after a full set up by a luthier it sounds amazing.

Won’t last long I’d imagine:

https://reverb.com/item/33737843-fen...ntent=33737843

Thanks,
    Baron

Won’t last long I’d imagine:

https://reverb.com/item/33737843-fen...ntent=33737843

Thanks,
    Baron
    Definitely not at that price. One went for like $800 after a long drought recently.

And it’s gone...

Quote Originally Posted by EJMUSIC View Post
    Looks like this one is for sale: https://reverb.com/item/33708009-fen...019-fiesta-red

An update - I wound up having the tenor tele delivered the same day as the Eastwood Classic. The tenor tele was strung DGBE and and the Eastwood was GDAE. After playing them I determined that the Fender was by far the better instrument for fit, finish and feel, and also the one that I was going to return. Just didn't bond with it - the sound was a little thin and didn't fit with anything I wanted to play. I think for me the sounds that I would like to get from a Telecaster type guitar occur on the lower strings. I was thinking of restringing, but ultimately decided that I liked what the Eastwood was doing better despite it being not nearly as well put together. The guitar store I bought from gave me full store credit (I got a octave pedal for my bass and will be getting a bass setup) - they normally don't do that on special orders, but apparently had another buyer waiting in the wings.

As for playing tenor - my tenor banjo arrived just before we locked down for COVID and I've had a ton of fun on it (tuned CGDA). I think the Tenor Tele would have been interesting to try in that tuning.
    Addicted to 4-string instruments - Ukulele was the gateway drug, followed by bass and now onto the hard stuff - tenor guitars and banjos (plus a little mandolin on the side)

Anyone here tried adjustment of the tenor tele truss rod at all? Curious to know how it went and any advice, should I ever need to do anything with the neck profile.

I'm having a lot of fun with mine, great range of tone and very playable after a few tweaks here and there, string gauges, saddle heights etc. Great value instrument!

This may be of interest- particularly the discussion around the lack of a string tree and a workaround using shorter tuners.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Rankine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    Anyone here tried adjustment of the tenor tele truss rod at all? Curious to know how it went and any advice, should I ever need to do anything with the neck profile.

I'm having a lot of fun with mine, great range of tone and very playable after a few tweaks here and there, string gauges, saddle heights etc. Great value instrument!
    Adjusted mine yesterday. Needed maximum relief to end fret buzz. Action is still good though, and it plays nicely. The pickups on these little Teles are superb.
    Tenor Guitar & Lap Steel Freak
    https://papadafoe.com/tenor-guitar-tunings

22. The following members say thank you to Papa Dafoe for this post:

List price on a BSB:
    Fender Alternate Reality Series Tenor Tele 2019 Butterscotch Blonde

https://reverb.com/item/34639337-fen...ntent=34639337

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Thanks Baron! I called Moore's guitars back in May when you posted about another BSB on Reverb for $499.99 with free shipping (It sold in minutes).The fellow at the guitar shop was under the impression that they were going to go back into production this summer for a short run. Interested to see if any 2020 serial numbers start popping up.

I can't imagine Fender not making more of these. Used 2019 Fender Tenor Teles are selling for $899, $400 more than they sold for brand new. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 models were priced substantially more than $499.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

I agree Chip.

With the perceived success of the last rollout, if I were a guitar manufacturer I'd reseach the possibility of making tenors.

If I were Fender, the Squier Mini would convert to a Tenor Strat tomorrow. They have the 4 pole single pups and the bridge would be a simple mod. Scale length is 23". Slim the neck and route the neck pocket accordingly. Reduce the headstock proportionately and you have a Tenor Strat.

Ibanez could convert the Gio mikro setup similarly.

What do I know! Fender could have lost a ton on this, or maybe manufacturers feel like Bob Taylor that there isn't a market.

More options benefits us the consumer ultimately.

Huck

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Fitted a Gotoh RG30 string tree - that's sounding better now

Stick bit of post-it note on headstock, measure once, have a cup of tea, measure again, leave it overnight, measure again, drill hole with tiny hand drill...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1416[1].jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	184359
    Thanks!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willdrum For This Useful Post:

One available at less than US retail if you’re in Canada, or if this seller will ship to USA

https://reverb.com/item/34738141-fen...es-tenor-tele?
    Tenor Guitar & Lap Steel Freak
    https://papadafoe.com/tenor-guitar-tunings

Has anyone checked the pickup wiring on theirs? When mine is in middle position it really sounds like it's wired out of phase. But in all the video demos I've seen of it, it sounds pretty similar. It would seem odd if they're all wired out of phase, whether intentionally or accidentally. But if they're wired in phase, then I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the tone. Much more Peter Green than typical Tele to my ear. But I haven't seen any other criticisms of this, so maybe I'm just picky?