Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Default Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Glad you were able to get one and I hope it arrived setup to your satisfaction Mandoloon. Read a second online review saying their's arrived with bad fretwork.

None on Reverb and only one Fiesta Red on eBay today.

Who did you have your preorder with?

Enjoy!
    Huck

Thanks! Yep, this one arrived in straight-from-factory condition with no additional store-level setup, and it was perfect right out of the box -- no fret issues at all. The tone is great, and the action is nice and low.

Oh, I'd had a preorder with Elderly for a Lake Placid Blue one since the summer, and when I checked with them again on 12/23, they said they still hadn't received the tenor teles in any color yet. Not blaming them, of course -- it's out of their control -- but with no idea when/if Fender was going to fulfill Elderly's order and the ones I saw popping up selling out almost immediately, I decided to buy the next one I saw from a store with available stock. I'm glad I did -- really enjoying it!

Just to report in... I'm loving this thing. I tuned it like an octave mando. I'm not a really good player (really a guitar player, and mediocre at that), but this seems to match my inadequacies ver well. I love Tele's generally, so it feels quite comfortable and I'm getting exactly what I want out if it. Best $499 I've spent in ages!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gretschbigsby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gretschbigsby View Post
    Just to report in... I'm loving this thing. I tuned it like an octave mando. I'm not a really good player (really a guitar player, and mediocre at that), but this seems to match my inadequacies ver well. I love Tele's generally, so it feels quite comfortable and I'm getting exactly what I want out if it. Best $499 I've spent in ages!
    I love this!!!

Thumbs up Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    I love this!!!
    I'm with you mojocaster!

I've not been a member of the Cafe for long. But I feel that's what this community is all about; supporting each other and the sharing of knowledge. In this case reveling in the excitement of a new guitar.

6. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

I've been working on a detailed blueprint of the body and body componenents. Here's what I have so far. It isn't proofed or refined but pretty close: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenortele600dpi.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	182640

Quote Originally Posted by creebobby View Post
    I'm just going to do a thin coat of amber tinted shellac for now. Might spray with white blonde nitro later.
    Your Esquire build looks great. If you do the white blonde nitro - it will look classic.

Luther Perkins '55

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1955.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	182685

Are you going to keep it with one pickup or are you waiting on a new neck pickup?

Best of luck!
    Huck

Trifecta!

Name:	20200111_112729.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	182742

Ordered yesterday morning from World Music Supply; arrived in 25 hours. Lake Placid Blue is absolutely gorgeous.

Name:	20200111_111843.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	182743

"Marilyn" (Monroe), "Rita" (Hayworth) & "Marge" (Simpson).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

This is getting a bit frustrating in Europe!!!!!

Hang in there in Kevin.

It was a lot of frustration and a little bit of fear that prompted me to get this one. I've had an order with Sweetwater since July. I wanted to see what they provide with their 55 point inspection. I'd been given seven different delivery dates from the beginning of August to December 30th. I didn't hear anything from my sales engineer and was too afraid they were not getting any from Fender. So when I saw the Lake Placid Blue Friday morning I ordered it and now I could not be happier.

Best of luck,
    Huck

13. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

I've had a butterscotch one on order from my local music store since September. From the sound of things it has been determined that if you pre-ordered you will are apparently willing to wait. I'm waffling on whether to cancel my order since I have an Eastwood Classic tenor arriving tomorrow and I can only play one at a time. I'm thinking of taking a chance that I can get my money back from my local store, try out the Eastwood and then decide whether to buy or not on the Fender when it shows up. If I take delivery from my local store I can't do a return for cash, just store credit.
    Addicted to 4-string instruments - Ukulele was the gateway drug, followed by bass and now onto the hard stuff - tenor guitars and banjos (plus a little mandolin on the side)

15. The following members say thank you to PTOEguy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    This is getting a bit frustrating in Europe!!!!!
    It is indeed!! I've received an email last saying saying that my Lake Placid Blue Fender Tenor Tele ordered in August 2019 would be delivered as of March 30th!!!!
    I'm starting to really resent this whole Tenor Tele scam… Sorry, need to vent...

17. The following members say thank you to Guilhem74 for this post:

It's gonna be vintage by the time we get them, if we're lucky!

19. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

fox 

Quote Originally Posted by PTOEguy View Post
    I've had a butterscotch one on order from my local music store since September. From the sound of things it has been determined that if you pre-ordered you will are apparently willing to wait. I'm waffling on whether to cancel my order since I have an Eastwood Classic tenor arriving tomorrow and I can only play one at a time. I'm thinking of taking a chance that I can get my money back from my local store, try out the Eastwood and then decide whether to buy or not on the Fender when it shows up. If I take delivery from my local store I can't do a return for cash, just store credit.
    It was delivered today - as was my Eastwood Classic tenor. Amazing how different the two instruments are - the fender is solid body, single coil pickups and tuned in 4ths. The Eastman is hollow, humbucking and tuned in 5ths. The fender feels very quality - fit and finish are nice and the switches, etc. feel good. The Eastwood is nice, but lacks a little of solidness in the feel that the Fender has.
    Addicted to 4-string instruments - Ukulele was the gateway drug, followed by bass and now onto the hard stuff - tenor guitars and banjos (plus a little mandolin on the side)

21. The following members say thank you to PTOEguy for this post:

PTOEguy - yeah those are like apples and oranges. If the Eastwood was a semi-hollow I'd have gone for that but hollow bodies tend to feedback under amplification. If you're not gigging it's not a problem.

You're a fortunate person to be able to enjoy both.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

23. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

And just to keep things interesting Fender is releasing a bunch of ukeleles with the fret marker at the 10th. I don't play uke but the tunings appear to be generally in 4ths and pics show the fret marker at the 9th on ukes by Epiphone and others.

Would be interested in hearing the logic Fender uses to make these decisions.

Name:	Fender-Ukulele-2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	182865

- ---==< V >==--- -

I applaud Fender for trying something different, but those ukes are FUGLY at best to me. Just gross.

Interesting factoid - ukes are the largest selling stringed instrument in the world by a long shot. Guess that's where the money is.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Would be interested in hearing the logic Fender uses to make these decisions.
    They could just be following all the other major manufacturers such as Martin, Kala, Lanikai, Cordoba, Oscar Schmidt and Harmony. All of whom place them at the 10th fret.

They could just be following all the other major manufacturers such as Martin, Kala, Lanikai, Cordoba, Oscar Schmidt and Harmony. All of whom place them at the 10th fret.
    Some do and some don't. I did a search and it's inconsistent. Adding more baffle is that ukes tend to be tuned in 4ths leading one to think a 9th fret marker would be the preferred placing.

Name:	POP_LPukuHS.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	182883

Only reason I bring it up is because the rationale some posted here for Fender putting the marker at the 9th on the Tenor Tele was to appeal to the uke market, yet by all accounts ukes are primarily at the 10th, as you note, with some exceptions.

Contrary-wise the others that have made tenors, like Harmony, have placed the marker at the 10th.

That's why I say it would be interesting to hear the logic Fender uses to make these decisions.
    Last edited by Verne Andru; Jan-15-2020 at 8:36pm.

- ---==< V >==--- -

29. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

fox 

Doesn't look like Fender is doing an encore this year

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/na...guitar-lineup/

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    I applaud Fender for trying something different, but those ukes are FUGLY at best to me. Just gross.
    They're just so annoyingly gimmicky!!!

32. The following members say thank you to Guilhem74 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Interesting factoid - ukes are the largest selling stringed instrument in the world by a long shot. Guess that's where the money is.
    Interesting factoid (to no one else but yours truly): I play the uke so much, I named my band Uke'n'Smile

Meanwhile, those are still fugly examples of a great instrument :D

Dhani Harrison (George's son) has had a Tenor Tele since August 2017. Helps to have friends at Fender I suppose. More than likely a prototype? Single pickup, volume only knob it seems - Esquire-esque.

From his Facebook:
    Dhani Harrison - August 18, 2017 ·
    "Tenor Tele ! Where have you been all my life. @mschulz83 you're a boss."

Name:	Dhani Harrison.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	182924

https://www.facebook.com/DhaniHarris...6828223847575/

35. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

Dhani Harrison (George's son) has had a Tenor Tele since August 2017. Helps to have friends at Fender I suppose. More than likely a prototype? Single pickup, volume only knob it seems - Esquire-esque.

From his Facebook:
    Dhani Harrison - August 18, 2017 ·
    "Tenor Tele ! Where have you been all my life. @mschulz83 you're a boss."

Name:	Dhani Harrison.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	182924

https://www.facebook.com/DhaniHarris...6828223847575/
    Cool find!

I grabbed a LPB blem off Sweetwater this afternoon. They must have just listed it. It was now or never.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."