Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Default Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

I had my middle position swapped (after I made my review) to the beefier sound, much improved in my opinion, but I know some folks like the way that middle position sounds normally. Series and parallel, I can never remember which is which. In any case, it’s an inexpensive mod to have done.

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

Series is the beefier mode. I prefer parallel, but wiring it out of phase sort of goes in the opposite direction from series - it gives a thin, nasal tone. If I knew my way around the inside of a guitar I'd experiment to see what's going on, but I'm afraid I'd destroy the thing in the process. Next time I'm visiting a tech I may have it looked at.

I wonder what the feasibility is of having a 4-way switch installed.

With a smaller control plate, I'd imagine the factory installed 3-way switch is smaller. The body cavity may need to be routed out.

Something for me to inquire about at the local guitar shop.

Series/parallel switching can be easily done using a push-pull pot. And it's reversible.

Seonachan - sounds like you're pickups were wired incorrectly. If these are being done by hand, which I assume is the case for a limited short-run, Monday morning mistakes are easy to make. Fender's are typically wired in parallel so if you're getting nasal try reversing the leads on one of the pickups.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

Made a visit to Jake Wildwood yesterday for some other work, and brought the Tele - he fixed up the wiring and it sounds much better now.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seonachan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Series/parallel switching can be easily done using a push-pull pot. And it's reversible.
    Thanks for the idea! I've just done it, using a Bourns push-pull pot in the tone position, and it works really well, gives a quite different and very useful extra sound, much punchier and more up front than the three factory positions.

Even the Bourns switch only just fits, there's not a lot of room behind there - I had to be very careful not to trap wires when fitting it back together.

Cheers,

Andy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Thanks for the idea! I've just done it, using a Bourns push-pull pot in the tone position, and it works really well, gives a quite different and very useful extra sound, much punchier and more up front than the three factory positions.

Even the Bourns switch only just fits, there's not a lot of room behind there - I had to be very careful not to trap wires when fitting it back together.

Cheers,

Andy
    So glad it worked out.

The 2 mods I do on single-coil instruments are the parallel/series and phase-reversal. Both work on push-pulls so they are reversible.

Phase-reversal gives a nasally tone that works well in certain situations - with some effects I get a pretty convincing saxophone tone out of my emando.

Between the 2 mods you get a ton of new tonal options and much more utility out of your instrument.

Cheers - V
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -