Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Default Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

I had my middle position swapped (after I made my review) to the beefier sound, much improved in my opinion, but I know some folks like the way that middle position sounds normally. Series and parallel, I can never remember which is which. In any case, it’s an inexpensive mod to have done.

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

Series is the beefier mode. I prefer parallel, but wiring it out of phase sort of goes in the opposite direction from series - it gives a thin, nasal tone. If I knew my way around the inside of a guitar I'd experiment to see what's going on, but I'm afraid I'd destroy the thing in the process. Next time I'm visiting a tech I may have it looked at.

I wonder what the feasibility is of having a 4-way switch installed.

With a smaller control plate, I'd imagine the factory installed 3-way switch is smaller. The body cavity may need to be routed out.

Something for me to inquire about at the local guitar shop.

Series/parallel switching can be easily done using a push-pull pot. And it's reversible.

Seonachan - sounds like you're pickups were wired incorrectly. If these are being done by hand, which I assume is the case for a limited short-run, Monday morning mistakes are easy to make. Fender's are typically wired in parallel so if you're getting nasal try reversing the leads on one of the pickups.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

Made a visit to Jake Wildwood yesterday for some other work, and brought the Tele - he fixed up the wiring and it sounds much better now.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seonachan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Series/parallel switching can be easily done using a push-pull pot. And it's reversible.
    Thanks for the idea! I've just done it, using a Bourns push-pull pot in the tone position, and it works really well, gives a quite different and very useful extra sound, much punchier and more up front than the three factory positions.

Even the Bourns switch only just fits, there's not a lot of room behind there - I had to be very careful not to trap wires when fitting it back together.

Cheers,

Andy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Thanks for the idea! I've just done it, using a Bourns push-pull pot in the tone position, and it works really well, gives a quite different and very useful extra sound, much punchier and more up front than the three factory positions.

Even the Bourns switch only just fits, there's not a lot of room behind there - I had to be very careful not to trap wires when fitting it back together.

Cheers,

Andy
    So glad it worked out.

The 2 mods I do on single-coil instruments are the parallel/series and phase-reversal. Both work on push-pulls so they are reversible.

Phase-reversal gives a nasally tone that works well in certain situations - with some effects I get a pretty convincing saxophone tone out of my emando.

Between the 2 mods you get a ton of new tonal options and much more utility out of your instrument.

Cheers - V
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Smile Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

Hope everyone is well.

Too much time on my hands.

Some interesting YouTube videos of the Tenor Tele:

Take care all,

Huck

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    Let the gouging begin! I just saw a listing for a Fender Tenor Telecaster on a popular instrument buy-sell-trade site for $100 over list price.
    This really is no fun at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    That is strange but it would make the few available very desirable!
    The guitar in the top video above sold for the $1000 he throws out there at the end of the video.

https://reverb.com/item/35629645

According to Reverb's Price Guide: one sold four days ago for $950.

https://reverb.com/p/fender-alternat...ic-guitar-2019

It seems a Grand is the new asking price.

https://reverb.com/item/36356868-fen...ic-guitar-2019

In ten months the value went from $100 over issue price to almost double.