Thread: Anyone seen a build like this before: Custom guitar

Default Anyone seen a build like this before: Custom guitar

Anyone seen a build like this before: Custom guitar

Honestly, already been around lexington, ky to see if anyone recognized it.

The neck and body are a single piece of wood with the hollow routed out, top glued on. Neck has a working rod, and the fretboard looks thicker than normal, and gives the impression of being hand made.

No makers mark, no sticker, looked everywhere in the body that doesn't need a mirror, truss opening, and under the machines.

Just finished restoring it (was corroded, so had to replace the strings, machines, and polish it up, oil the fretboard, etc.), and it's a perfectly playable instrument.

Noticed the floating bridge was in place so long it left a pale shadow, but the shadow means the bridge was in the wrong place: It needed to be a quarter inch further from the soundhole to tune properly across the fretboard. On the other hand: I was played long enough to get use wear on the edge the arm rests, and grain wear on the area a pickguard would be, showing regular use.

So, it was player by someone for years, well loved, and then got stored and ignored for long enough for it to have parts corrode without hurting the wood?

Hoping someone will recognize this orphan's original daddy.

Default Re: Anyone seen a build like this before: Custom guitar

I've seen that kind of headless travel guitar before, but eventually gave up after many pages of brpwsing through Google image search results on "headless travel guitar." I believe I saw it between 1978 and 1990. There were lots of crafts fairs which had a great variety of exhibitors on the east coast in those years.

If you have the time, you could do an image search over a longer period of time, and see what you find.

Good luck!

Default Re: Anyone seen a build like this before: Custom guitar

Possibly based on something like this - https://www.ariauk.com/index.php?rou...oduct_id=13657 (the electric version.)