Thread: "Refurbished Gibson"

Default Re: "Refurbished Gibson"

Thankfully I didn't have any coffee in my mouth when I clicked. You need to warn folks before posting things like this. Sheesh.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

It would be a shame to let this become history with no pictures. The verbiage from the ad is:

Hummingbird, refurbished Gibson acoustic guitar made in Korea, excellent shape. Asking $500 without case. Case is for dreadnought guitar and is new so asking $600 with case. Will not sell case by self unless gibson sells without it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00N0N_l4Seb5oFV1H_600x450.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	181144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00y0y_bCybJfqOYLd_600x450.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	181145  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Years ago I was looking around a pawn shop at their guitars. A nice lady who was the owner told me that she had a couple other nicer guitars "in the back" if I wanted to see them. I said "sure." She brought them out and placed them on the jewelry counter. "I've got a Gibson and a Fender! The Gibson is $1500 and the Fender is $1000." The "Gibson" wasn't a Gibson, but a $40 import dreadnought in a chipboard case. This was before the era of readily available online peghead decals -- so the former owner made it a Gibson by clipping the word "Gibson" from a string pack paper and gluing it on the peghead! I passed.....politely.

The "Fender" OTOH, was a fairly rare actual Fender, 1975 Starcaster in natural finish with original case in near mint condition. I told her I would purchase the Fender. (worth about $4000) Her credit card terminal was one of the old "land line" models that shared the store's telephone, slow in other words........it finally went through, but it seemed to take 5 or 6 minutes before it spit out my receipt! A happy day for pawn shopping!

5. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Thanks Mike - ya I forgot to say "No financial interest" on my part.

And sorry about that Eric! I realized too late that I should have included lol or something in the title - as it is I'm afraid it's going to waste time for folks searching for legitimate instruments..

Yeah, almost shot ginger ale through my nose! Wow, what a “Nosbig!”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I saw the Meters at Tipatina's in 1990. Leo Nocentelli was playing a Starcaster- the first and last time I have seen one but I do remember the razzmatazz when the guitar was launched back in the mid-70s. As for the concert, I was hoping for something in the Dr John groove but I was not to be rewarded thus.

Listing's been revised to take out "Gibson" -- which might mean no deception was intended, the seller just thought Hummingbird = Gibson and, when told otherwise, corrected the ad.

On the other hand, still asking $500, which is unrealistic. The $100 hardshell case, less so, but you can't buy the case without the guitar...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM