Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin Orange on today Show

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Orange on today Show

I have been collecting their records and found, unlike Olddantucker (BTW-- a great song by that name/title was written and recorded by Chuck Girard), find that they use a variety of combinations of instruments and who sings lead vs. harmony, etc., all the time and with consistency. I think the direction of this thread after a positive start was a more and more negative drift.

Having seen this band in person and as a musician who does enjoy upbeat music as well as mellow, I find their set absolutely gripping and it holds my attention, raptly. I think we should remember that this cafe is about enjoyment of the mandolin not contrasting and comparing the lack of taste relative to one's own that other musicians might hold in high regard.

How about we agree that everyone has a right to enjoy that which they prefer and that the mandolin is one of the most versatile instruments available? Just because a band has the word "Mandolin" in it does not mean we are compelled to accept their material or critique it. Certainly we can, but if it becomes personal, it may not be productive.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

I will say I have been smitten with their music since discovering them. His mandolin play has reignited my desire to play after quite some time away from mine due to work and life events. Good stuff...
    Northfield NF-F5S
    The Loar LM600VS

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan Lackey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleE View Post

Reposting this because I just figured out how to embed!
    I was there for this set at GMBR 2019! I first became aware of MO the previous summer when they were in the lineup for the first GMBR festival. I wasn’t able to make it that year but started listening to them and made a point to see them there the next year. I also played a mandolin for the first time at that festival and found a BlueChip pick on the ground!

6. The following members say thank you to LoveTheDrake for this post:

https://www.today.com/video/mandolin...ay-73336389510
    Ah, I didn't even notice there was a guy playing mandolin in the video until someone pointed it out......

8. The following members say thank you to mmuller for this post:

Anyone else here heading to Music in the Mill in Hickory on 12/6 to check them out? It'll be my first time seeing them live but I've enjoyed listening for a coupe of years now.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

10. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    https://www.today.com/video/mandolin...ay-73336389510
    Ah, I didn't even notice there was a guy playing mandolin in the video until someone pointed it out......
    Mind boggling.

12. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoveTheDrake View Post
    I was there for this set at GMBR 2019! I first became aware of MO the previous summer when they were in the lineup for the first GMBR festival. I wasn’t able to make it that year but started listening to them and made a point to see them there the next year. I also played a mandolin for the first time at that festival and found a BlueChip pick on the ground!
    Hey, can I get my BC back?

Just kidding, I wasn’t at this festival. I do love the performance of this tune, it’s a bit different from the studio recording(Em on violin, Andrew on guitar.) I get the chills when Andrew starts doing that tremolo.

14. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

Saw them live last night at the State Theater in Portland, ME, and the place was PACKED to just about capacity. Awesome night of music that reminded me that, I really need to be a better musician, singer and songwriter. Left uplifted, enchanted and inspired.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojocaster For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    Saw them live last night at the State Theater in Portland, ME, and the place was PACKED to just about capacity. Awesome night of music that reminded me that, I really need to be a better musician, singer and songwriter. Left uplifted, enchanted and inspired.
    mojocaster, you couldn't have said it better! I feel very similarly!! They have some great lyrics. I love "The Wolves."
    2014 BRW F5 #114

18. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

It's the good stuff! I am grateful for music in general, but most of what is popular nowadays fails to touch my heart. Which is fine. So it's refreshing to see current bands that produce such beautiful music - and can actually play their instruments. I don't mean to sound condescending, either - I'm just good at it

20. The following members say thank you to mojocaster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Anyone else here heading to Music in the Mill in Hickory on 12/6 to check them out? It'll be my first time seeing them live but I've enjoyed listening for a coupe of years now.
    I really enjoyed seeing Mandolin Orange live this past Friday!
    My only complaint was the audience. Too many people that want to talk through a show that they paid good money for. Really takes away from the experience for me!
    But as far as the performance goes, fantastic.

I didn't have a great angle to confirm exactly which mandolin Andrew was playing, but it sounded fantastic. Great tone!
    And I will just say that if you are a fan of Monroe style playing, he does a great job of incorporating it into their songs. Very tasteful but funky and powerful.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

22. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Drew, We saw them live in SLO, CA and wow, what a wonderful concert. I was spellbound throughout, though I wish like heck they would play Wrecking Ball, which is among my favorites of theirs. They played mostly "Tides of a Teardrop" album tunes. Very nice thoughts of his late mother. Excellent playing and singing throughout the band!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

In case this hasn't been posted elsewhere, Andrew (with Gil in hand), Emily, and band appeared on "CBS This Morning Saturday."

25. The following members say thank you to MK in NC for this post:

Heard them on NPR Live from here. I like the Mandolin Orange mando sound better than Thile's, who has a bit of a precious sound for lack of a better word.

Also on Tiny Desk, if anyone hasn’t seen it.

Binge watched on YouTube yesterday, so great! Lots of minor keys to rip your heart strings. That girl has a great touch on the fiddle. Go howl at the moon tonight.

Searching for the Sound

I caught MO last night from up close that the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee. Goodness, it was magical .... they did the last song unplugged.

Hope the video shows... I'm not so good at inserting vids in these threads. Also, I did NOT take the video ...

- 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtm For This Useful Post: