Thread: Bridge and Tail Piece Recomendations

Default Bridge and Tail Piece Recomendations

Hey,

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on my first flat top build and had a couple of questions regarding the bridge and tail piece:

1. Will the Ashton Bailey tailpieces work on a flat top. If not, will any of the Allen tailpieces work with a flat top?

2. Does anyone have any experience with the Grover Tun-Kraft ebony and bone bridge? What's the advantage of the bone inlay? Or can anyone recommend a flat top bridge blank?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Bridge and Tail Piece Recomendations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3463.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	925.0 KB 
ID:	181119 over the years, I've tried a lot of different things.. one thing that worked out really well was making a bridge out of bone.. The ones That I've made are not adjustable but feel that it added more sustaine and makes it loud all across the strings.. ya gain a little , and you loose a little....
    kterry

I just built a flat top based on Graham McDonald's book and it has about a 12/15' radius. I bought a $10 Chinese knockoff of the Ashton Bailey tailpiece (quality was pretty good- and it perfectly matched the Golden Age Bronze tuning pegs I ordered) but the angle was made for an archtop mandolin so it was too high. I put it in a vice holding the body down and gently hammered the tail pin area down. I figured if I broke it I wouldn't lose much. It hammered down fine, the metal seemed malleable, and now the angle is perfect. That might not be the case with the Ashton Bailey, but that's how I handled it. Good luck
    Rob

Thanks for the response guys! I'm leaning towards the ebony bridge from elderly (https://www.elderly.com/collections/...lin-bridge-469) the description says the insert is plastic but I think I can knock it out and replace it with bone.

I'm still stuck on a tailpiece. I have a feeling that if I try to modify/bend any cast tailpiece it will break due to how brittle they tend to be.

If you made a mandolin you can make a bridge/saddle. A piece of ebony is all you need. Well......and some tools, but I think since you made a mandolin you have those.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!