Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five String Madness

Default Re: Five String Madness

That's all the compensation there is – one inch? It looks like so much more.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    That's all the compensation there is – one inch? It looks like so much more.
    I know. Surprised me too. Especially how the bridge is angled one way and the nut the other way. But I measured it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I had taken a break from the five course and have recently come back to it. I have two projects I am now working on:

One: I have resumed learning how to read alto clef. I would like to be a strong mandola player to make myself more versatile for mandolin orchestra play.

Secondly: I am working on being able to find my melodies an octave below where I know them. I want to be able to do this quickly, or at least more quickly than I can now.

Once I am capable of being useful on mandola at jams and orchestra I it might make sense to get a nice mandola. The holy grail, IMO, being a Lyon & Healy model A asymmetrical two pointer, to match the mandolin I have. That would be the bees knees.

I had a mandola once, and eventually I was either playing capo 2 a course down to come in an octave below the fiddle, or bringing two instruments to every jam (and mostly playing mandolin). I finally let it go. The five course is the real solution to that. But MAS being what it is, I will probably get a mandola at some point.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    From nut to bridge high E strings is 14 3/4 inch. From nut to bridge on the low C string it is 16 3/4 inch.
    I mis-measured. Subtract a quarter inch from both. This instrument has a zero fret, and so the real scale length is not from the nut but from that fret. (I believe, I think, am I wrong???)
    My instrument is 13.5 inch scale length at the high end, and 14.5 inch scale length at the low end.
    Maybe time to measure again... some discrepancy here? "Measure twice, cut once." You first talk about a 2" range and you took the shorter scale down and inch and the larger one down two inches. Or did you replace the original instrument with a different one. Or am I crazy?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

B to Gb might not be a 5th, but Cb to Gb sure is.

Once I am capable of being useful on mandola at jams and orchestra I it might make sense to get a nice mandola. The holy grail, IMO, being a Lyon & Healy model A asymmetrical two pointer, to match the mandolin I have. That would be the bees knees.
    Lyon & Healy never made an asymmetrical mandola. The Style A mandola remained symmetrical even after the asymmetrical mandolins were introduced.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Lyon & Healy never made an asymmetrical mandola. The Style A mandola remained symmetrical even after the asymmetrical mandolins were introduced.
    The same with the mandocello, which is probably the best vintage mandocello in existence.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Maybe time to measure again... some discrepancy here? "Measure twice, cut once." You first talk about a 2" range and you took the shorter scale down and inch and the larger one down two inches. Or did you replace the original instrument with a different one. Or am I crazy?
    I don't know what bourbon I was drinking but the actual measurement is 14.5 on the E string, and 16.5 on the C string. Zero fret to bridge. Which, yea, is two inches.

The entire staff
    funny....

I don't know what bourbon I was drinking but the actual measurement is 14.5 on the E string, and 16.5 on the C string. Zero fret to bridge. Which, yea, is two inches.

That’s ok. After all, you were having 5-string... er... 10-string madness.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: