Thread: Jams in the UK

Default Jams in the UK

Hi all.
    I’m based in surrey in the uk. Unfortuantely I can’t travel too far due to an inability to drive. Mostly due to the fact I never learned.
    But I was wondering if there are any jams in the uk because it’d be great to play with others especially if they are more skilled on the mandolin than I am. (I relish the opportunity to learn)
    Also if there isn’t a jam in the south of the uk, and there’s enough interest, I may try to organize such an event, maybe on a bimonthly basis.

-Ross

Default Re: Jams in the UK

There is a bluegrass jam in west Surrey- called the Slow Jam and it meets on the second Tuesday of each month- tomorrow. There are other jams over the border into Hampshire. The slow jam is convened by Gary Payne and Cheryl and runs through various Old Time, Bluegrass and Mountain music at various levels of proficiency- mostly learner and intermediate. Gary leads on guitar and sings and the participants join in as best they can- he demos the songs and tunes first. Cheryl plays banjo or mandolin- Gary can play mandolin but he leads on guitar. The venue is the bar/pub in the Blackwater & Hawley Leisure Centre which is just off the A30 in Blackwater, address is Hawley Green (Off Fernhill Road), GU17 9BW- (near the M3/A331 junction) at 8pm-ish. There is plenty of parking to the side of the centre on the left as opposed to the front of the club. You can access the bar through the sliding doors that look out on to a sports ground- that is the back of the building. Gary is a tutor at "Sore Fingers" and here is a blurb on him from that organisation.

Gary Payne is one of the UK Bluegrass scene�s top performers always giving 100% when on stage with his band �A Band Like Alice�. Gary has a phenomenal knowledge of Bluegrass songs and never runs out of material to play at a session. That knowledge extends to many of the famous American Singers and Gary�s stories about Jimmy Martin, Bill Monroe and Co are legendary.
    Coming from a family steeped in Folk Music, his dad ran a folk club in Southern England and Gary had little choice but to grow up with acoustic music. To do all those songs justice, Gary accompanies himself on the guitar and the mandolin sometimes and it this side of his musical talent that will be coming into play at this October�s Sore Fingers weekend.
    A firm believer in strong and good rhythm, Gary will explain how to play the guitar for a band, the finer points of the timing and the dynamic required to support the lead instruments and the singers. He says you cannot become a great lead player until you have these skills well under control. And, whilst the tunes are fun, it�s the songs that really define Bluegrass with those unmistakeable harmonies. They deserve only the best, great guitar playing and that is what Gary will be showing everybody at Kingham.

Thanks for the great information. I might see if I can get to one of those jams.

-Ross

You could also look for guitarists, if they have a reasonable rhythm, or you play with a drummer/drum machine too.
    They don’t have to be very experienced to have a lot of fun playing tunes.