Thread: Luthiers in Raleigh, NC

Default Luthiers in Raleigh, NC

Well, it looks like its time for new frets. Does anyone know of a good luthier who could put some banjo / med fret wire on my mandolin and give it a good set up? I also wouldn't mind getting a slight radius as well. I've got to go out of town for a week or so and I'm flying out of Raleigh and I thought it would be a good time to get the work done. I figured there may be a few more luthiers in the Raleigh area that work on mandolins than around Wilmington. I know a great luthier here in town, but he mainly does guitars. I hate not give him business, but I would really like to have someone who mainly works on mandolins to do the work. Thanks.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Default Re: Luthiers in Raleigh, NC

I've had some nice work done by Greg Hansen of Hansen & Crawford in Raleigh on St. Mary Street. They are good, but I found it took a good while on turnaround....

Quote Originally Posted by jjboone101 View Post
    I've had some nice work done by Greg Hansen of Hansen & Crawford in Raleigh on St. Mary Street. They are good, but I found it took a good while on turnaround....
    I had a similar experience with them with a guitar. Thanks, I may try someone else if there is anyone who specializes in mandolins.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

I've worked with them before, and found if you explain the circumstances up front, they can accomadate. To me, they're are no better luthiers in Raleigh
    One day I'll stop all this crazy buyin', practicin', and playin'........course I'll be dead.......

Greg Hansen is great. Also Ben Runkle. I've had work done by both. Both usually have heavy workloads, but are worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by chasgrav View Post
    Greg Hansen is great. Also Ben Runkle. I've had work done by both. Both usually have heavy workloads, but are worth the wait.
    Yeah, they (Hansen) did a great job on my guitar. I've had several people give me their name, they definitely have made a good name for themselves, so I sure that adds to the wait. I remember when I picked up my guitar, there was a lot of instruments getting worked on. I'll have to give Ben a call. Thanks.

Any one in Wilmington?