Thread: Stephen Fearing's New Manzer Cowpoke

Default Stephen Fearing's New Manzer Cowpoke

Canadian guitar virtuoso Stephen Fearing has played his original Manzer "Cowpoke" for the last three decades. I just returned from seeing him in concert, and is it very difficult to make any kind of distinction between his virtuosity and her instrument. I post this here because I believe after listening to them both speak on their particular areas of expertise, it permanently puts paid to those who want to deny the facts regarding acoustic instrument break in and evolution.

But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Default Re: Stephen Fearing's New Manzer Cowpoke

Just saw Bruce Cockburn ... looks like Manzer has built him a charango!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yes, good stuff. Stephen's quite a talker, I must say, but it was interesting.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Canadian guitar virtuoso Stephen Fearing has played his original Manzer "Cowpoke" for the last three decades. I just returned from seeing him in concert, and is it very difficult to make any kind of distinction between his virtuosity and her instrument. I post this here because I believe after listening to them both speak on their particular areas of expertise, it permanently puts paid to those who want to deny the facts regarding acoustic instrument break-in and evolution.

Well, I disagree this puts nothing to rest in the breaking in argument. I believe instruments change over time but the sad truth our hearing observations are way less than perfect. Until someone can track this with data everyone will not believe it. I also think the break-in we perceive as players has as much to do with resonances we feel as much as hear. And still, I can not prove that. I can give my Martin to a dozen guitar players and have and everyone says wow that's a keeper, people on the outside listening may or may not believe that. I will say his commnets on enviromental changes certainly shows the impact on an instrument.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.