Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reid & co

Default Re: Reid & co

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Obviously not a brand that many are familiar with! It probably generates more questions than answers, most of which YOU could tell us since you have it in hand.

- Guessing that you have Googled to find that it was built in India, a section of Hyderabad.
    - I can't make out the writing on the top half of the red oval. That might be informative to someone.
    - What is the scale length? It looks like a mandolin, but could be other, depending. Mandolin is usually 13" to 14" (13 7/8" being most common). That's the vibrating length of the string, between the bridge on the body and the nut at the base of the headstock.
    - The wood: You obviously do work on instruments, and must have some in-hand opinion on how it's built & what it's made of. Solid, laminated?
    - Photos of the back of the headstock, showing the tuner mechanism in detail, are often useful to some.
    - The artwork: paint, decal, inlay?

I'm guessing that you actually want to know what brand, gauge, or specific set of strings to use for restinging. That begs the question: What are the gauges of strings on it now? That's usually measured with a caliper to the thousandths of an inch. A typical set might run from .011 inch on the high E-strings (assuming it IS a mandolin) to .042 on the low G strings. Juststrings.com can be a pretty good reference for most fretted instruments.

Hope this helps you help us to help you!
    It’s sorted Ed , they say it’s Saxon made and not worth much so it will sit in the case for another 20/30 years .
    It’s nice to be nice eh ��

Thanks for your reply nick , I really appreciate that , I will give it a clean and put back in it’s case . ����������������

Take it out of the case every now and again.This is my A. Monzino & Garlandi of Milan mandolin from about 1930. It was almost certainly made by Meinel & Herold of Klingenthal, Saxony and retailed in the UK. It has a great British wooden (laminates) case- one of the reasons I bought it! It sounds great but I now only tend to play mandolins with a 14 inch scale- this one is 13 inch- and I am in trouble when I go back to a 14 inch scale mandolin! However, it needs to be tuned and played every now and then!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (3) M 7 Z BODY.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	181318

Name:	s-l1600 (3)  M &  Z in case.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	181317

4. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Take it out of the case every now and again.This is my A. Monzino & Garlandi of Milan mandolin from about 1930. It was almost certainly made by Meinel & Herold of Klingenthal, Saxony and retailed in the UK. It has a great British wooden (laminates) case- one of the reasons I bought it! It sounds great but I now only tend to play mandolins with a 14 inch scale- this one is 13 inch- and I am in trouble when I go back to a 14 inch scale mandolin! However, it needs to be tuned and played every now and then!

Name:	s-l1600 (3) M 7 Z BODY.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	181318

Name:	s-l1600 (3)  M &  Z in case.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	181317
    Thank you for advice.