Thread: Reid & co

Default Reid & co

Hi to all , I have tried to put up a pic of mandolin and banjolin ,hope this helps anyone with knowledge of these fine old instruments,all with original cases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C6CD4F2-C41F-4141-9021-1EECB986C80F.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	585.6 KB 
ID:	181069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28E11490-9C2D-4757-BCAB-B229E7015FFE.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	181068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3BA29462-0549-4ED1-B797-3BAFC8BC1F0B.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	181070  

Default Re: Reid & co

Can anyone help please

I just looking for some information on this ,as I’ve been asked to restring it but know nothing about it.it looks lovely ,someone must know a bit about these decorative instruments. Thanks in advance

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Obviously not a brand that many are familiar with! It probably generates more questions than answers, most of which YOU could tell us since you have it in hand.

- Guessing that you have Googled to find that it was built in India, a section of Hyderabad.
    - I can't make out the writing on the top half of the red oval. That might be informative to someone.
    - What is the scale length? It looks like a mandolin, but could be other, depending. Mandolin is usually 13" to 14" (13 7/8" being most common). That's the vibrating length of the string, between the bridge on the body and the nut at the base of the headstock.
    - The wood: You obviously do work on instruments, and must have some in-hand opinion on how it's built & what it's made of. Solid, laminated?
    - Photos of the back of the headstock, showing the tuner mechanism in detail, are often useful to some.
    - The artwork: paint, decal, inlay?

I'm guessing that you actually want to know what brand, gauge, or specific set of strings to use for restinging. That begs the question: What are the gauges of strings on it now? That's usually measured with a caliper to the thousandths of an inch. A typical set might run from .011 inch on the high E-strings (assuming it IS a mandolin) to .042 on the low G strings. Juststrings.com can be a pretty good reference for most fretted instruments.

Hope this helps you help us to help you!
    - Ed

"What our group lacks in musicianship is offset by our willingness to humiliate ourselves." - David Hochman