Thread: My new Apitius build

Default My new Apitius build

I made a decision to go with a new Apitius build, it’s scheduled to begin construction in March, 2021. I am going with the Grand Classic design with a couple of unique choices that Oliver has never done before. One is the choice of tortoise binding and the other is going to be a very special headstock inlay design that we have come up with together.

I am really stoked about this build and will of course be updating y’all once I’ve received it, with pictures and some tone samples.

-d

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drewbarries For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My new Apitius build

Congratulations! (March 2021 to begin construction? I'm not sure I'd ever be patient enough to get into the queue for a build by a popular luthier.)
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Brock For This Useful Post:

Good for you! I'd be stoked, too. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd love to have one of his Club Jazz mandolins. Let's see what the future holds; one never knows.

Please keep us posted, with photos if possible.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

6. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Is that start date correct?
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Is that start date correct?
    Yes

Thumbs up Re: My new Apitius build

I ordered a Club Jazz from Oliver that will be here in July of next year. He is a fantastic
    Luther and I am excited.

Keith

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Johnston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by drewbarries View Post
    I am really stoked about this build and will of course be updating y’all once I’ve received it, with pictures and some tone samples.

-d
    Thanks for letting us know, I’ll mark my calendar for approximately two years from now! I may be living in a different country by then, but hopefully I’ll have uncensored internet. Lol’s. Great choice by the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic_01.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	181067  
    Last edited by mtucker; Nov-08-2019 at 6:11pm.

Oliver makes some of the best mandos out right now. I’m extremely jealous!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

13. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    Thanks for letting us know, I’ll mark my calendar for approximately two years from now! I may be living in a different country by then, but hopefully I’ll have uncensored internet. Lol’s. Great choice by the way.
    I may not be alive when it’s done I really don’t want to give it away completely but the inlay is going to be something really cool, not traditional at all but something very beautiful and special.

Congrats! Apitius is the best instrument I’ve ever owned! Oliver is fantastic to work with, and it will be worth every bit of the wait!!!
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

16. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by drewbarries View Post
    I may not be alive when it’s done I really don’t want to give it away completely but the inlay is going to be something really cool, not traditional at all but something very beautiful and special.
    I have to say that I certainly hope you are alive when it is done, and that comment was just a moment of pessimism, not a real concern. I hope you are well, strong and playing daily.

Also, you have really heightened my curiosity about what your headstock inlay will be. Have you seen the Great Blue Heron inlay Mr. Apitius did for Tommando? It is quite beautiful and I now think of it every time I see a heron (pretty frequently, where I live).

If I am fortunate enough to have Mr. Apitius build a Club Jazz for me, I have a very simple design in mind, much like the one I had Mike Black put on my piccolo mandolin he built for me. Perhaps not complex but very meaningful to me, as I think a custom build should be.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

18. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I have to say that I certainly hope you are alive when it is done, and that comment was just a moment of pessimism, not a real concern. I hope you are well, strong and playing daily.

Also, you have really heightened my curiosity about what your headstock inlay will be. Have you seen the Great Blue Heron inlay Mr. Apitius did for Tommando? It is quite beautiful and I now think of it every time I see a heron (pretty frequently, where I live).

If I am fortunate enough to have Mr. Apitius build a Club Jazz for me, I have a very simple design in mind, much like the one I had Mike Black put on my piccolo mandolin he built for me. Perhaps not complex but very meaningful to me, as I think a custom build should be.
    Thanks Bob, no had not seen the Tom Mando blue Heron but I just found it on an old thread, yes it’s very pretty, seems there’s quite a few folks that have bird inlays and so I may as well acknowledge that mine is also a bird inlay request, funny how you would mention the tommando example.
    Last edited by drewbarries; Nov-10-2019 at 7:20am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post

Once you reach a certain age you think both in terms of lifespan and deteriorating physical abilities. Not that it’s a 24/7 constant worry, but when I buy a good quality tool, I think it will outlast me. That’s not morbid , just the reality of things. At 69 I would not wait two years if something like an Apitius was going to be an upgrade. Perhaps if I had an Ellis and was just indulging my whims I would. I’d rather find one ready to play and get those two quality years playing it, for they are certain to be the best two years I have left.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

21. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Once you reach a certain age you think both in terms of lifespan and deteriorating physical abilities. Not that it’s a 24/7 constant worry, but when I buy a good quality tool, I think it will outlast me. That’s not morbid , just the reality of things. At 69 I would not wait two years if something like an Apitius was going to be an upgrade. Perhaps if I had an Ellis and was just indulging my whims I would. I’d rather find one ready to play and get those two quality years playing it, for they are certain to be the best two years I have left.
    I hear ya, I really need the two years just from a financial point of view. I got into some trouble with spending on credit and that’s the reason I sold my Collings. I considered buying something cheap because I am hurting without a mandolin to play but I have a very eclectic background and there no shortage of stuff for me to play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E84C32E3-89F4-4490-97A5-13331F41FFD1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	453.5 KB 
ID:	181088

Name:	AEF66216-5A40-4FBB-9F9E-8F728D9119B7.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	181089

Name:	975483E9-0086-4D04-BA71-652DFF29102D.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	652.7 KB 
ID:	181090

23. The following members say thank you to drewbarries for this post:

Gunnar 

Congrats on working with Oliver. Love that guy! Top notch mandolins without question, just ask Forrest.

25. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Great choice, my Apitius is a fantastic instrument.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

27. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post: