Thread: Lyon an Healy?

Default Lyon an Healy?

Do you think this is a Lyon and Healy- Ditson?

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/79553417

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	476190713199RaDn.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	181054

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Lyon an Healy?

Yes.

Looks like a Pacific Rim made imitation of a Ditson mandolin.....no tailpiece cover either. Pass.

That's a Lyon and Healy Style B (NOT a Pacific Rim instrument at all). A desirable and beautiful instrument. Built circa 1920's (a picture of the label would allow dating more precisely).

Some of these were made for Ditson, as discussed in this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...style-A-scroll

I guess Ditson label means it was one of the later ones built. Wonder whether is is a varnish or lacquer finish on that one.

I agree... no way a Pacific rim made instrument. A bit scratched up on the back and missing tp cover (hard to find and usually $200-300 if you find one). Might need some more work but if it sells reasonably might be a good one after restoration.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Teacher, repair person

That looks like a nice instrument. I like the look of the figure in the back. Except for the missing tailpiece cover, it appears to be original.
    Unless the bids go up considerably, that's a lot of mandolin for not very much money.
    I don't know why anyone would think this is a modern era imported instrument.
    The carved Lyon & Healy instruments that I have seen all appeared to have been finished in the same manner. It is likely that they used a spirit varnish of some sort.

One of my students had a model C with a Ditson label. It was a good mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    That's a Lyon and Healy Style B (NOT a Pacific Rim instrument at all).
    OK OK, now that I have found the seller doesn't ship to Canada, I will admit I might have erred in judgement there.

yeah rcc56, very nice back wood. lovely figuring. but doesn't ship to canada? i guess i'm off the hook. (i can resist anything except temptation--oscar wilde)

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    yeah rcc56, very nice back wood. lovely figuring. but doesn't ship to canada? i guess i'm off the hook. (i can resist anything except temptation--oscar wilde)
    That's an apt citation. However, my mandolin acquisition program had been governed by a complementary quote: the only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.

I bought a Lyon & Healy from Shopgoodwill once.

It is still in a luthier's shop waiting to be fixed.

But I might be foolish enough to do it again.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I bought a Lyon & Healy from Shopgoodwill once.

It is still in a luthier's shop waiting to be fixed.

But I might be foolish enough to do it again.
    Not foolish at all, methinks. That's called "redundancy", or "defense in depth". In other words, if your luthier messes up one of your L&Hs, then he'd have your second L&H handy from which they could scavenge parts needed for the repair of the first L&H mandolin. You see, you are not likely to lose with the "1 out of 2" approach to mandolin collecting.

Current price is $801USD with 4 days to go. Book price is ~$1300-2400 in EXC which means all parts are present. TP cover can be $300 if you can find one so closing into a non-bargain. Still it could be a nice instrument, esp if it needs little work and stays at or near the current price.

I, too, have not had great luck with condition for Goodwill. It is often like pulling teeth to negotiate when something is not represented as received. One purchase I bought had a warped neck and I got a small refund but not enough to really pay to get it playable. Oddly you are better off buying on eBay. Items sold by Goodwill are donated and therefore usually not worth. it is a gamble but sometimes you can do well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

No case with this instrument, if you happened to be wondering.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Well I'm out! I have a 80's Washburn asymetrical 2 point. Would have been a fun stablemate, but with no case and tailpiece cover, going no higher.
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

an eighties washburn asymetrical two point??? i have never seen one of those. post a picture please.

yes condition at goodwill stores can be terrible. i used to go to a couple in washington state when i'd trip down from vancouver. some cool instruments but many in terrible shape. i got a nice harp there very cheap once , by a top maker, jay witcher. a friend got a great concertina for ten bucks. the thing had been opened and not put back together. but he knew how to re line the seals, and reassemble and although a no name it was a 30 button diatonic which worked well.

i saw several mandolins in way too poor condition to bother with , same for many guitars.

i owuld be suspicious of any goodwill item that i couldn't examine up close unless really really cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    an eighties washburn asymetrical two point??? i have never seen one of those. post a picture please.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/529524...51303/?lp=true

- - - Updated - - -

Thats mine, top left corner
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

JR Rickard, friend of mine, worked at a local thrift store, the Opportunity Shop, which was run (I think) by the American Association of University Women local chapter. He was a folkie, played in a group called America's Children which formed at the local community college, and actually played for LBJ at the White House back in the '60's.

While there, he was able to purchase, I believe, at an extremely reasonable price, a Gibson Mastertone 5-string that someone had donated. You really never know. I got a $75+ bass fiddle stand at one of the local Goodwills for $10 couple years ago. You have to know your stuff, though. I picked up a Kramer electric bass and Fender bass amp at a school rummage sale for around $300, immediately traded them in on something acoustic (can't remember what), but got more than my cost on the trade-in.

Still keep my eye out, now and again. As I said, you really never know.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Up over $1K.

I was interested in part because I already have a potential line on a tailpiece cover, but at this price I think I'm out. I got a Style B (L&H label) in *much* better condition on eBay for only a little more money, and sold it for a profit. Twice.

SOOOOOO. Who got it?????

I have often wondered who bids and buys from shopgoodwill.com. I now know. I've always considered it a bigger gamble than other online instrument sights -- both condition-wise and who is actually doing the packing. And, I assume there is no return policy?

I have purchased from seattlegoodwill who is a longtime eBay seller and falls under the eBay protections for buyers. I once bought a $100 electric with $700 worth of vintage Gibson pickups in it!

Everybody likes a bargain........depends on how you define bargain......

If it's cheap, I say "go for it!" $100 bucks here or there is one thing......now, $1000 bucks is a little different story and as Jim points out it is approaching retail considering the missing cover..........

and as I always say, "what fun is paying retail?"