Thread: Anyone use a Fender Mustang GT40 amplifier?

Default Anyone use a Fender Mustang GT40 amplifier?

These things look cool. I like that they use smaller speakers and a closed back to be good at both instrument amplification and playback of music, so one can jam with recordings. Looking for feedback on this. I've read it sounds pretty good for a small amp and has good updated sound models and a cool phone app. The negative is apparently, you have to plug it directly to the network to update its firmware https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustan...3150349&sr=8-3

Anyone have one?

Default Re: Anyone use a Fender Mustang GT40 amplifier?

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    The negative is apparently, you have to plug it directly to the network to update its firmware. Anyone have one?
    I can't imagine that you would have to update the firmware very frequently, if at all. It should come with Fender's latest firmware. I don't have a Mustang GT40. I have a Super Champ X2 with USB connection to the internet. When I got it about 3 years ago, I plugged it into my computer and found that the firmware was the latest, greatest that Fender had available. I have not checked for any updates since then. For me, it's a non-issue but ymmv.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Thanks. This was just a concern I read in a few reviews of the product. As noted, I have no experience with it. Hopefully, I'll find it in a local store to try out, though not the firmware update.

I have a modeling amp. The firmware and user interface is primarily focused at selecting different models of historic amplifiers which I find totally useless. I have no need to emulate a 1959 Bassman -- ever. I'd much rather have direct access to adjusting the amount of reverb, the time delay and other parameters specific to the needs of my venue and the adjustment of my sound. I can do this but the modeling feature for vintage response is nothing more than marketing hype. The GT40 is probably a good little amp but test drive it first and see if the modeling function makes the direct access to effects difficult. I prefer just a clean dependable amp and a rack processor that I can swap with something different if it suits me. All-in-one does have advantages tho.

The Fender modelling amps give you the option of manual settings. The presets are just a quick base if you're looking to emulate a specific popular sound. I previously had a Vox amp that didn't.
    Last edited by Elliot Luber; Nov-11-2019 at 9:35am. Reason: added something.