Thread: Forty progressive studies for the mandoline, Op. 50 - G Hucke

Blog Entries

Post Forty progressive studies for the mandoline, Op. 50 - G Hucke

I recently acquired a copy of "Forty progressive studies for the mandoline, Op. 50" by George H Hucke from the BMG collection. As I hadn't seen a copy available I have scanned it and uploaded it here, originally published in 1893 this is a revised copy which used to belong to a BMG teacher ET Percy based in London
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40 Progressive Studies for the Mandoline .pdf 
Views:	486 
Size:	11.80 MB 
ID:	181026

There's a bit of blurb about Hucke's short life here on wikipedia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._Hucke
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Forty progressive studies for the mandoline, Op. 50 - G Hucke

My intention is not to demerit your work, but there is already a free pdf file of these Forty progressive studies by Hucke in Mandotopia, the site of John Goodin, for quite some time ago...

This PDF is better than the one on Goodin's site. The images are in better focus and the contrast is higher. It also appears to be a newer printing than Goodin's, judging from the price change (2 shillings sixpence for Goodin's, 3 shillings sixpence for this one).
    1923 Gibson A-Jr
    2011 Kentucky KM-630

Thanks again, Eoin, for posting this scan. I just read through the first handful of etudes and one warning. The plates they printed this might have gotten worn down a bit from multiple printings because I was a bit confused in the beginning etudes they would go into positions. Then I realized that the "4" looks like a "1". Now I see that it makes sense and they are not telling us to shift into 3rd or 4th position. These are fun little etudes.

There is something quite satisfying about progressive etudes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I would love one of these books in TAB, no, I just have to learn to read notation.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    I would love one of these books in TAB, no, I just have to learn to read notation.
    These would be a good way for you to learn to read notation. And if you are familiar with fiddle tunes, you might also use some fiddle tune book like Ryan's Mammoth Collection all in notation to read through.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thanks again, Eoin, for posting this scan. I just read through the first handful of etudes and one warning. The plates they printed this might have gotten worn down a bit from multiple printings because I was a bit confused in the beginning etudes they would go into positions. Then I realized that the "4" looks like a "1". Now I see that it makes sense and they are not telling us to shift into 3rd or 4th position. These are fun little etudes.

There is something quite satisfying about progressive etudes.
    Yes I meant to lag that up Jim but forgot when it came to the actual post. It's just as hard to read from the real copy.

They are quite a satisfying bunch of exercises, I can see why it became a bit of a standard for tutors to get their students to use.

I've another similar work from 1912 which Prof. Waldahoff had a hand in called " The Virtuoso School Of Mandolin" by Leopoldo Francia
    It's much clearer print so should scan well.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Another good collection of Progressive Etudes for Mandolin is by Sol Goichberg. He played at one point with the New York Mandolin Orchestra and when I was still playing with them his wife Fanny brought a few copies and gave one to me. Plucked String republished it in the 1980s and unfortunately it is our of print. If you can find a copy, grab it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I used to think that etude meant pain, suffering and anguish, sometimes leading to frustration and despair. In some ways, it still does. But, I've come to recognize that the agony of it all is worth it when it comes to playing the instrument I love. This is the first time I've seen this book and I like what I see. Just sight reading through it and working on visualizing is an exercise. Already saved a copy of the PDF to my computer so I can start working on these with mandolin in hand when I get to the house. Thank you for the post.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Michael Reichenbach

Although there are already two versions of those exercises available I have made a 3rd scan and uploaded it to the Petrucci Library
    This is a 600 dpi bw scan from a reprint of the studies, good to print and read, and easy to find.
    So you have the choice - enjoy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hucke-40-studies-cover-2000.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	184530
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

The new scan is very nice, but I wish you had kept the extra three pages of advertisements and whatnot. Those period things are fun to look at now even though they're not strictly essential to the book's content.
    1923 Gibson A-Jr
    2011 Kentucky KM-630