Thread: Gibson Year Date

Default Gibson Year Date

Need some help with a date. I'm looking at a Gibson F model that has a 6 digit serial number 520560. I have looked at several sites but didn't really find an answer. Please help. Thanks
    Last edited by Hook2010; Nov-05-2019 at 4:19pm.

Default Re: Gibson Year Date

Gruhn's Guide shows that number for the years 1965 and 1968. They reused the numbers during certain years. Posting pictures might help narrow it down.

Teacher, repair person

That number could also have been used in 1974 or 75, which was during Gibson's worst period.

If it's an F-5 and has dots in the fingerboard, it was made in the '60's. If it has fancy fingerboard inlays, it was made in the '70's.
    If it has a fleur-de-lis in the peghead, it is an F-12 made in the '70's.

'70's Gibsons are usually not good instruments.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

What would be the approximate value if it was a 60's or 70's model. I used to jam with the owner back in the mid 80's but I don't remember what type of fingerboard it had. He passed away over 20 years ago and the family has offered to sell it to me. I am thinking of buying it but at a price that is fair to both of us. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know it's condition and I understand that affects price. They did tell me it has been in their closet in the case since early 2000's. When we were playing I remember he did take good care of it.Thanks again for the help.

There are serious issues (binding rot comes to mind) that can affect those instruments. You really need pictures if your serious about a price.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I understand about the binding and any other issues that may affect the price. I wish I could get some pics but it's about a 6 hour drive to where it is. I was just wanting a ballpark price between a 60's and 70's instrument if in good condition.

Teacher, repair person

All that I contribute that a well-established vintage dealer is listing a near very clean 1961 F-5 for $5000, and it has been on the market for quite a long time. We can infer from this that $5000 is more than the market will stand for a '60's F-5 in top-notch condition.

Ballpark price on a '60's or 70's F model in more or less serviceable condition? More than $1000, probably no more than $3500 to $4000 at the very most. To say more, we would need to know the present condition, year of construction, and the exact model of your old friend's mandolin.

Thank you very much rcc56 for the information. I hope I can see it post pics and get some more input. Just don't know how much time I will have. I think it would be great to have it but I have to be real about it as well. Thanks again.

There is a big difference in the Gibson Fs of the 60's and 70's on both the F5 and the F12. Until you know which decade you are looking at, it's really hard to speculate anymore information than you have gotten. I would think someone in that family has a cell phone that could take a quick photo and sent it to you and you post it here. If they don't have anyone, ask them to grab a kid off the street to do it for them and give the kid $1.