Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my MAS dead?

Default Is my MAS dead?

Going to Carter Vintage the other day had an odd result. No MAS. Yes, there were some drop dead wonderful instruments in the high end room that were a joy to play, one Duff new blonde in particular. But, I was not scheming how to bring it home. I really have a very special affinity to the Ellis Tom made me and I cannot justify another F5. My Hester F4 is far and away the best F4 I have ever played. No lust there. My Collings MT2-O is a one of a kind with Italian spruce and birdseye maple. A precise oval to die for. Martin 1930 C is not going any where. You get what I am saying. Each lovely I have is special and fits a particular niche. I have run out of niches and a I cannot justify 2 in the same niche. So while I always love going to Carter's.(Taking a friend there on Wednesdar for his first trip), I don't see any acquisitions any time soon. This does not mean Carter's had no effect, however. After getting home, I ordered a used 2007 Gibson Les Paul DC Root Beer colored solid body bass from a sellor in Australia. BAS is not yet dead, but running out of niches there, too. Cheers all.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Gunnar 

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is my MAS dead?

MAS is never dead its just a sleeping! Hey, there is a song in there I think. I like trading and trying out different things, why? I don't need to as I own some really special vintage mandolins, its just a fun. But I get you! If you have instruments that speak to you its hard to justify others!

4. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    MAS is never dead its just a sleeping!

I hate to break the news to you, but (to some extent) The Monkees already beat you to the punch, with a song called 'Love Is Only Sleeping'.

Other than that - I can relate to a lack of MAS, simply because I lack the opportunity to play my mandolin very much these days. In my old band I had the occasional opportunity to break out the mandolin at live gigs - but now that I am back to being a solo, I am forced to spend most of my time writing and performing on guitar, and the mandolin basically only comes out for personal enjoyment. Besides, I have a beautiful Kentucky KM-272 which fits just about everything that I ever wanted inn a mandolin . . , so, until a small miracle happens and I get a mandolin gig of some kind, the new Rigel or Weber will have to wait.

6. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Going to Carter Vintage the other day had an odd result. No MAS. Yes, there were some drop dead wonderful instruments in the high end room that were a joy to play, one Duff new blonde in particular. But, I was not scheming how to bring it home. I really have a very special affinity to the Ellis Tom made me and I cannot justify another F5. My Hester F4 is far and away the best F4 I have ever played. No lust there. My Collings MT2-O is a one of a kind with Italian spruce and birdseye maple. A precise oval to die for. Martin 1930 C is not going any where. You get what I am saying. Each lovely I have is special and fits a particular niche. I have run out of niches and a I cannot justify 2 in the same niche. So while I always love going to Carter's.(Taking a friend there on Wednesdar for his first trip), I don't see any acquisitions any time soon. This does not mean Carter's had no effect, however. After getting home, I ordered a used 2007 Gibson Les Paul DC Root Beer colored solid body bass from a sellor in Australia. BAS is not yet dead, but running out of niches there, too. Cheers all.
    If you haven't played one , you should try a Girouard oval ! Played many at Gruhns in Nashville and I liked the workmanship and sound of a Girouard the best !

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Start looking at mandolas and GBOMs. You’re welcome

I have a Girouard mandola at Carter's, I reluctantly put up for sale when I had my Nyberg made. That was a very difficult decision. Both are fabulous instruments and to give up one was heartbreaking. The Girouards I have played have a unique voicing that really speaks to me. Some may ask, well then why not keep both mandolas and that would be a fair question. I have a personal belief about all musical instruments are meant to be played, no matter how beautiful or valuable. So, I would rather give one away than have it sitting around collecting dust. Given the little I play mandola, one or both would just collect dust.

10. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Der, missed your sig. And you have a Mowry GBOM. I have envy

Sometimes going to such a store can be a real education. I’ve been fortunate of late that the lesson has been that my Kelley A5 and Rigel CT-110 are very, very good instruments, with which I am well pleased.

I’ve recently sold, traded, or given away 5 mandolins and a guitar because we downsized last summer, and I found myself only playing the better ones. Loved my flatiron 1N, but rarely got it out. The beater Eastman 315 was too good to not be played by someone, and I rarely take instruments into situations where there’s truly a risk of damage, anyway. My daughter is enjoying the Martin A, and the youngling to whom I gave the beater (the Eastman replaced) last Christmas is loving it. In my old house I had a dedicated music room with lots of space and would probably have never done that, but I’m actually OK with it, as I’m not having to move cases around the house every time the kids are home from school or we have a guest, lol.

Also, I was a one mando man for a lot of years, because finances dictated as much. The ones with which I’ve parted ways were bought inexpensively over an 8-10 year period because I had the cash and wanted to try them out, so they were all part of my mandolin education in some way.
    Chuck

Funny you should ask that question. I believed I was fully cured of MAS by my Phoenix Neoclassical. Perfect instrument for me. But after a few years of MAS-free mandolin bliss, I find myself hankering for an Apitius Club Jazz. I just can't shake it. I believe I will need to spring for a Club Jazz at some point, even though I will need to sell most of my other instruments to swing it.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Around 30 years ago my house was broken into and a couple favorite vintage guitars were stolen. Prior to that I was always collecting and searching for the "ultimate" -- whatever that was in my mind. After the theft, I just kind of went numb as far as acquiring was concerned. Totally lost interest. Also, at that time I was performing a lot in night clubs, so not having my favorite instruments really was a bummer. I got some parts catalogs from the back of the guitar magazines and put together a couple of "partscasters" to use in night clubs -- so I went from playing these wonderful instruments with tons of soul and pedigree to basically punishing myself by playing these soulless generic instruments. I guess I felt if they were stolen I wouldn't be losing anything except the money they cost, which could be replaced.

Anyway, over time the acquiring did return, but not with the same enthusiasm. I think I'm better braced to handle a loss after that experience. It just doesn't mean as much to me anymore. And, I'm older so maybe I've experienced enough cool stuff, who knows?

That and working at a music store also quelled my need for acquisition.

I’ve been going through this at a much more modest level, but it is the same feeling. I had my Silverangel when I bought a cheap F style and got the scroll disease. Damn if I was going to spend $5k on a mandolin, so I built my Arches kit. Well it exceeded my expectations to the extent I doubt I’d find any $5k mandolin that would part me from my money. Now that does not keep me out of stores because I like fine craftsmanship, which my mandolin sorely lacks, but I’m not hurting for tone.

So now I’m playing the likes of an Ellis and realizing to do better I need ten grand. I will probably buy a Northfield or Collings someday for no good reason, but when it comes down to it, reason isn’t really in the picture is it?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Tony, if you hadn't mentioned your purchase of a bass I would doubt a positive answer to your thread title question. However, MIAS (the parent to MAS, BAS, GAS, etc.) fills in quite nicely.Acquisition is acquisition especially when you are talking another musical instrument. That does not cure you of anything—merely a re-direction of your syndrome.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Tony

With the gaggle of great mandolins in your stable would you even need to contemplate another mandolin purchase?

For myself I like to sit on the sidelines and watch all sorts of interesting mandolins being put up for sale. I am especially interested in those once buyers now sellers putting really fine expensive instruments up for sale, mostly for want of cash. It begs the question when does a mandolin feed MAS or a cash conversion. With such great mandolins being put up for sale who buys these at these high prices. What do they get out of them that a $2000 or less used fine instrument would suffice in most situations. I thought about this when Emory Lester was really candid about some fine instruments in Greg Boyd’s shop. You can have a lot of fun for much less than $5k.
    Nic Gellie

19. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Gunnar 

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    ^^^ This. I don’t look at mandolins anymore but do want a mandola.

After awhile its refret time and that gets expensive if you have a bunch of work needing done.. on your fleet.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

22. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I am the last person on this earth to criticize anyone wanting to acquire yet another instrument. OTOH my instrument account is rather low now so that helps to avoid any new purchases. That doesn't mean I don't look. And I have noticed the counterpoint to MAS which is putting off even thinking of selling off the ones I barely play. Anyone who posts here about the death of their MAS is in denial. The only folks who truly don't have MAS don't post here about having it or not. We don't hear from them at all.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Kinda in the same boat. I have two great mandolins that do everything I need them too. Had the Kimble F5 for 4 years now and the Heiden A5 for over 10 years. I'd like an oval hole but don't really need one. A Waterloo maybe. I enjoying seeing what's available out there but my desire to buy/sell/trade is extremely low these days. I have an octave I need to sell along with some cases but can't even get myself to do that....

25. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Gunnar 

I have only known one person who could have anything he wanted in terms of worldly goods. Well, maybe not his own Carribean Island or Lear jet to get there, but he had some Picassos his father bought locked up in a vault somewhere. He had to survive on a $200,000 allowance until he inherited the whole shebang when he was about forty. He immediately went on a spree of guitar aquisitson that was something to behold. There was not a high dollar special edition anything he did not buy. He had no interest in anything vintage. New, shiny, exclusive because of cost was his thing.

I watched one day as he was buying an archtop jazz guitar and as they were writing it up, he went over to a rack of Gibsons and picked up two. That amounted to a six grand afterthought. I can safely say that after the first six months, the average guy trading his Rogue for an Eastman was far more thrilled with his instrument than this guy would ever be again in his lifetime. There is just something about having to scrimp a little over time and anticipating the purchase that makes it all the more sweet when you realize the dream. MAS is all about the anticipation.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I personally have some really great mandolins that some would dream of having and guitars but I love the hunt, thrill of finding something that hasn't been loved or played in 30-80 years-yes 80 year and older have been found in virtually new condition! But also love finding something beat almost to death that has possibility-That's how my evilbay 24 Gibson Tenor Lute was found and Gary Vessel turned it into a serious gorgeous looking and sounding Mandola! My friend found some serious attic finds a year ago that were headed to the trash-yes to the trash if he didn't want them!, so I'm happy I got one of them a well dried out, some cracks, neck set needed bridge reattached but all there and original late 1918 Martin OO-18, with an almost perfect case with that era of Loar green interior, its getting a minor resto! So with me "MAS is not dead, its only a sleeping, for someone like me to find and bring home" I'll breath life to the unwanted love and make her sing till the morning sun comes home"-that is a title to me song, its taken and marked here on this date in the forum! My patent. LoL!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Lol. I was sure I didn't have ANY interest in a mandola (lower voice that is more in the guitar range? no thanks), but pulled an Eastman MDA315 off the wall at the store a couple of weeks ago and now it's got it's residing happily in my house (lower voice might not be great in ensembles that are so often guitar heavy, but I loved playing this mandola and think it will be good for soloing or for accompaniment, whether for vocals or other solo instruments).
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

30. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Gunnar 

Blog Entries

A few months ago my wife and I drove up to Seattle and went on an Alaska cruise and I was for the most part offline for 2 full weeks. When we got back, I had no urge to watch the Cafe' Classifieds anymore, and somehow I've remained free of that habit since then. Similarly, while in the past I've always wanted to visit Carter's, Gruhn's and the whole Nashville music-shop scene, even that enthusiasm has grown cold...

And at the same time, I'm spending more time practicing mandolin than I've ever done before, and I'm loving these instruments. I don't get it.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

32. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Caleb 

I'm glad you have your mandolin niches filled! MAS can be fun, but being happy with what you have is a good place to be.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

34. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

I don't think people understand the condition. MAS can sometimes go temporarily dormant but it's never cured. It's an idiopathic condition that can come on at any time. Geneticists believe it may be related to gene number 440.

It originates in a little-known section of the brain called the tonewood appreciata. Through osmosis, it can move into the wallet. Research has shown that it can affect both the money and the credit cards in the wallet. This is known as the Gibsonian Effect.

While one's financial status can frequently cause MAS to go into remission, a condition known as Visita Plastica or Masticardorium can revive it.

It's important to know that I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

36. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

I hope my MAS is never fully cured. Remissions can be good, but reoccurrence let's me recall the passions of a younger time. Even when I don't act on it, it gets the blood moving. It reminds me that I still can desire and that mandolins still ignite the embers.

Now, how am I going to fund that Club Jazz. . .
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

38. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    A few months ago my wife and I drove up to Seattle and went on an Alaska cruise and I was for the most part offline for 2 full weeks. When we got back, I had no urge to watch the Cafe' Classifieds anymore, and somehow I've remained free of that habit since then. Similarly, while in the past I've always wanted to visit Carter's, Gruhn's and the whole Nashville music-shop scene, even that enthusiasm has grown cold...

And at the same time, I'm spending more time practicing mandolin than I've ever done before, and I'm loving these instruments. I don't get it.
    I can relate to this. I recently drove through Nashville and the urge to visit all the fancy shops was barely there. I mostly could hardly wait to get home and play my own instruments.

40. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post: