Thread: I made a "Smart" purchase this weekend

Default I made a "Smart" purchase this weekend

Took a trip to Kansas City this weekend to Bradford Company Fret Shop to pick up two new instruments. I've wanted a matched pair of a Mandolin and Mandola and I found the legendary Authur Stern Matched Mandolin and Mandola from Lawrence Smart there at the location.

Just a few observations.

1) The Smart Mandolin is a joy to play. It had to have some work done on the soundboard due to a humidity crack, but it still PROJECTS (and not in a bad way). It's loud but very controlled. i'm enjoying it a lot.

2) The Mandola is AMAZING. Any complaint I've had about the last 3 mandola's I've owned have completely been erased by this instrument. It's WARM and BALANCED. It reminds me of the sound of a viola in a stringed instrument section. If you really listen, the violas sound richer and fuller than their violin counterparts. Most of the last mandola's I owned just didn't carry the warmth or richness. They sounded like they were missing something. This doesn't, and it's easy to play. It just plays fantastically. I can see why so many musicians own his mandola's.

3) Both are asthetically beautiful. Really to see them in person was a treat. The pictures can only show so much. These are so beautiful.

4) These are my first Calton Cases also (Fiberglass). Oh my goodness. They're SOLID and I have no fear when they're in the cases. They fit like a glove. These cases are beautiful and I see why so many people own them.

5) Mr. Bradford was great to work with. Very open over email, and really made the process easy. I liked going to the shop. I just wish I had more time there. If you need a quality instrument, check him out.

Anyway, enjoy the overview pics. If you have ever had a chance to play these, let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7096.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	754.9 KB 
ID:	180986
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Classicalcomp For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I made a "Smart" purchase this weekend

I have jammed with some "Smart" owners and they sound great and are plenty loud. Nice to hear you love the mandola! Seems to be mandola's on the rise as of late- more power to the mandola!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

Very nice, I got to play those about a year ago or so and they are both fine instruments. The mandola I wanted to take home with me!

Glad someone is keeping the pair together
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

6. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

Congrats on your new pair! They look absolutely stunning. I've only ever tried one Smart mandolin; an a style 'comma' that was at TAMCO in UK. It was also the first mandolin I've played with a sound port on the side. The mandolin was beautiful; an absolute joy to play. Still think of that instrument every now and again - one of the ones that got away.

Congrats again. I'm jealous.

Name:	Screenshot_20191114-064848__01.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	375.3 KB 
ID:	181176

8. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

Congrats and welcome to the Smart club! I’ve had my Smart F5 for about a year and It has become my top mandolin.
    2014 AL Smart F5
    1988 Givens A
    1921 Gibson A
    2009 Peter Zwinakis Selmer Guitar
    2002 Martin D-18V
    1999 Huss and Dalton CM Custom
    Several Old Fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by seankeegan View Post
    Congrats on your new pair! They look absolutely stunning. I've only ever tried one Smart mandolin; an a style 'comma' that was at TAMCO in UK. It was also the first mandolin I've played with a sound port on the side. The mandolin was beautiful; an absolute joy to play. Still think of that instrument every now and again - one of the ones that got away.

Congrats again. I'm jealous.

Name:	Screenshot_20191114-064848__01.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	375.3 KB 
ID:	181176
    That one is very nice also. Yes, the more I play them the more I like them. I put thomastik’s on the mandolin but I’m not convinced it’s the sound I’m looking for. Still debating what to put on the mandola. I do want some version of steel strings and flatwound. I may try the flat-tops next. That being said, they are a joy to play. The mandola especially is just such a nice tone.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin