Thread: Which Model Gibson Is This from about 1938?

Default Which Model Gibson Is This from about 1938?

Hi all.

As the title says, I am just wondering which model Gibson this is. It has binding on the front and back and the back is arched/carved, not flat. Does the finish look original?

I haven't seen the FON number but it is apparently from 1938.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gm1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	180982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gm2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	180983  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which Model Gibson Is This from about 1938?

That would be a Gibson A-1 with the specs I see, stenciled Gibson, top and back binding, scalloped/clam type tailpiece cover, A-50's would have pearl peg-head inlay, the bigger/ fancier standard tailpiece cover and by that year most are wide bodied, most anyway but there are some with the same body as yours. That's a nice one!

Thanks, William!

So you think the finish looks ok for this period?

Blog Entries

Yes the finish looks right on for that year but they do vary from batch to batch, If you look inside the treble F-hole there should be the FON# stamped on the back in that vicinity, some have it some don't, the bridge and guard aren't original, is the pickguard ebony? The guard looks like a close copy though. I'd like to see a side photo, level to see the neck angle and bridge as the bass side looks pretty high compared to the treble? It may just need a little better set-up, Is this yours or a perspective buy? These are nice sounding Gibson's but I'm partial to any of the F-holes as I like that sound/tone. I'm not a fan of the oval/round hole Gibson's, I've had a few and well not anymore, there are some great sounding ones I've heard but never owned one I had to keep.

William, I haven't bought it yet or seen it in person but I am looking to buy it for sure. The pickguard is ebony replacement. The owner thinks the bridge is original but may not know the particulars of these instruments, as many people don't.

I will see if I can get a couple more photos.

Blog Entries

See if you can get the FON# and yes the bridge is a non-original replacement, no biggie as most vintage ones need or get replaced due to cracks etc..I like it!

Is there a website with more pix? Don't worry I won't buy it from under you but I wouldn't spend more than 1100 as you can get some great ones in the classifieds here or on Reverb, there is a very nice A-00 from around that year for maybe 800 bucks or BO-NFI! The only difference in an A-00 and an A-1 from them years is the A-OO doesn't have back binding!

Teacher, repair person

The photos are not clear enough to evaluate the instrument really well, but to me, the bridge appears to be a replacement.
    I'd like to see clearer photos before signing off on the finish.