Thread: National RM1 String Action

Default National RM1 String Action

Hello, RM1 owners!

I just acquired a new-ish RM1 and I think the action needs to be addressed.

I'm wondering if the action on the RM1 *should* be higher for some reason (because it's a resonator) than on your average all-wood mando? Or should the nut and bridge on a the RM1 be set up just like any other mando (for the players comfort/expectations)?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: National RM1 String Action

I also own a National RM1. Those are LOUD, so I think that comfort is the primary concern, not getting more downward pressure to increase volume. Any louder and no one will want to stand across from you in a jam circle.

3. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

When I bought mine I had visions of playing searing slide mandolin so left my action a little higher. When I realized I was going to play it without a slide 99% of the time, I lowered my nut action considerably. I still can play slide if I want, but it’s much more comfortable now. And, still loud as Hell...

Also, these are designed, I believe, to eliminate excessive downward pressure on the biscuit to avoid damaging that apparatus, hence the pretty flat neck angle. (At least that’s what my luthier told me). They’re different, but I really like mine. Enjoy!
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

They seem to come from the factory set up for slide.

Lower the action.

7. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

I lowered my action slightly on mine and also put lighter gauge strings. It is a royal pain to re-string with that tailpiece though I love the look of the hardware on mine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I lowered my action slightly on mine and also put lighter gauge strings. It is a royal pain to re-string with that tailpiece though I love the look of the hardware on mine.
    I did much the same and I’d second the comment on the tailpiece. It’s a toss up as to which has the worst-to-restring tailpiece; the National or my Collings mandola.