Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

Default Re: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I think the new Live From Here show is pretty good. I could wish for changes, more music, less humor, but that is a taste thing. I would ideally love a long form interview format, Thile talking inside music and playing with new and well known artists. But who knows if that would go over well anyway.

Playing with new and well known artists?? Isn't that exactly what Chris is doing with Live From Here? I think it is going over well enough.

Woodsongs and Mountain Stage are great shows! But "Live From Here - Is there a better Music Show ANYWHERE?" IMO - No.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Someone should coin a term (like Godwin’s law, etc.) for when Thile gets mentioned and all hell breaks loose after.
    Done. I dub thee "Caleb's Law."

I imagine that the Wikipedia entry will read something like the following:

Caleb's law (or Caleb's rule of Thile uppityness) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a negative comparison involving Chris Thile approaches" that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare Chris Thile or his deeds as smug or pretentious, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    Done. I dub thee "Caleb's Law."

I imagine that the Wikipedia entry will read something like the following:

Caleb's law (or Caleb's rule of Thile uppityness) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a negative comparison involving Chris Thile approaches" that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare Chris Thile or his deeds as smug or pretentious, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends.
    That is great! But Scotter’s Law actually has a much better ring to it. Rolls off the tongue better and sounds more mysterious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Playing with new and well known artists?? Isn't that exactly what Chris is doing with Live From Here? I think it is going over well enough.

Woodsongs and Mountain Stage are great shows! But "Live From Here - Is there a better Music Show ANYWHERE?" IMO - No.
    We don't have to agree.

Live From Here hangs on to its roots and a musical and radio-skit comedy variety show. Garrison Keillor had a point of view and a way of writing that made Prairie Home Companion its own thing. I think it worked because the show was an homage to a long ago type of local, locally sponsored rural radio show. Powder Milk Biscuits was a take on Martha White, who sponsored Flat and Scruggs and so many others. Garrison Keillor is a master of rural literature and story telling. An his creation was wonderful.

I think it may take a while for Chris to make this his own thing. Or, perhaps it already is his own thing, in which case I could hope for more. But Chris is not a great or masterful rural author, and the homage just doesn't fit. Radio has moved on from those old time rural locally sponsored shows, and without the hands of a master of that kind of thing, the homage just doesn't work.

My opinion: I enjoy Chris the most when he talks seriously about music and composers and players and performances. I would love to see the Chris Thile Music Hour, with musical guests etc., something like a television talk show on the radio, with no comedy except or what springs spontaneously from Chris as he talks with the musicians.

Maybe that is a different show entirely. Fine. My opinion is that Live From Here is the closest I know of to what I personally would love, and now this is a better description of what I love posted.

As to the question "is there a better music show..." I took that to be a tongue in cheek kind of pronouncement, along the lines of "how fun is that?". Is there a better show anywhere? Is there I show I like better, anywhere. These are fun but pointless questions. I don't listen to or watch a lot of shows. Too busy picking!

Does anyone here like The KingPup Radio Show - Small Time Opry? Now there is a show without pretensions of being anything other than what it is. It is like a cast iron skillet, it does what it is supposed to do, real well, with no irony or or homage or pretension, and when you want a pancake or a fried egg, there is nothing better.
    Last edited by JeffD; Yesterday at 2:24pm.
    Indulge responsibly!

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

The Marty Stuart Show, Larry's Country Diner, The Bluegrass Trail, Country's Family Reunion, Hee Haw, Porter Wagoner, TruCountry...

So yes. RFD
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

7. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

NERD FIGHT!

I kid, y'all. I went to high school in the 80's in a place where I had zero access to accoutic music, Marty Stuart's hair would have seemed sort of tame, and I was subjected to Van Halen's "Jump!" enough times to make me wish I'd been born in a century before modern antibiotics. It's beyond wonderful to me that we get to argue which bluegrass/acoustic music shows, available for streaming at any time of the day or night, is the best. I never could have dreamed of such cultural riches when I was a teenager, even when all of the luminaries were alive and picking.
    Last edited by Joe Dodson; Yesterday at 2:23pm. Reason: I misspelled Marty Stuart's name. Booo!

9. The following members say thank you to Joe Dodson for this post:

I still remember those first A Prairie Home Companion shows and how corny they were -- in a very good, happy way. It may have been the first intentionally ironic show produced ever, not sure, but 35 years later we live in an age of ironic and retro everything......Quentin Tarantino, for example.

I can't expect a 30-something person to have the background to hit all the marks like someone who lived through it -- but, I am amazed at how well studied these musicians are. And, they do hit the musical marks -- that doesn't surprise me, music has always been a legacy -- it is the pop culture marks that do surprise me.

FWIW, underground artist Robert Williams speculates hundreds of years from now the future historians will refer to this time as the Rock'n'Roll Age, just like previous eras use loose classifications like the Ice Age, Stone Age, Industrial Age, etc. Us, aging boomers lived through a great era, at least musically. Imagine, being younger and feeling like you missed out on something that changed the world...

It's OK, they don't always get it "right," but they try and good music is good music.

(I hope that didn't sound smug or like an old grump.........)

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Yes, These were great shows ALSO! Perhaps, you left a few out like Mac Davis, Johnny Cash and West Virginia Mountain Stage. Again great shows. Aren't we lucky to have been born in or able to come to our wonderful country and be exposed to such fine entertainment! I'm thankful everyday. Keep Live From Here coming.
    Keith Edward Coleman A style, oval hole Mandola
    Stiver A style (eagerly awaiting spring 2020 arrival)
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Kentucky KM-950
    Harley Benton A style (Current campfire tool)
    Rogue 100A (Spare canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    ...Marty Stuart's hair would have seemed sort of tame, and I was subjected to Van Halen's "Jump!" enough times to make me wish I'd been born in a century before modern antibiotics.
    That's brilliant stuff there and I actually laughed out loud when I read it.

I sometimes watch Marty's show on RFD TV. The level of musicianship with him and his band is just flat out amazing. I could listen to him play simple stuff on the acoustic guitar all day; and though I could be wrong, he strikes me as a genuinely cool dude, like someone it might be fun to have a pint of beer with. His photography skills are also top tier.

There are several great music-related shows on RFD TV but I have cut back on my TV-watching and mostly just watch Woodsongs. "You don't have to be famous to be on Woodsongs, you just have to be good..." is the line Michael always says. Sometimes that is true, but now and then there will be some real groaners come along that make me wonder. There was a fellow on there recently (it would be ugly to name names) that was honestly one of the worst performers I've ever seen. But then they will have someone on who is flat out scary good. An odd mix for sure.