Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

Quote Originally Posted by H.P. View Post
    Doesn't hold a candle to Garrison's old show.
    I loved the old show. I love LFH. Two different animals. Kind of like saying a wool sweater doesn't hold a candle to snow boots or the 20/20 news show doesn't hold a candle to the Andy Griffith show.
    One may be prefered over the other, but to make a comparison fails to rationalize the fact that they are too different to compare.
    Just my humble opinion.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

A much more interesting view of all this would be what change in audience size has occurred as a result of the change in hosts and show name? Lots of sources out there for the Googling. I'll let other report the numbers and discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    A much more interesting view of all this would be what change in audience size has occurred as a result of the change in hosts and show name? Lots of sources out there for the Googling. I'll let other report the numbers and discuss.
    As I understand it, PHC had a peak of 4M listeners, and was down to about 3M when Garrison neared retirement. And LFH claims 2.5M most recently. So I suppose the show's long term health depends upon what direction that (still huge for public radio) number is going. I don't have enough audience data knowledge to know what any of it means. Except that IN ITS PRIME, Garrison's numbers were astounding for public radio, but were on the decline from that peak for some time.
    Last edited by BradKlein; Nov-14-2019 at 12:52pm.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    A much more interesting view of all this would be what change in audience size has occurred as a result of the change in hosts and show name?
    I dunno, but I had a great big grin on my face a few weeks back when I suddenly found myself hearing Thile and Siouxsie Sioux playing and singing a straight forward rocking cover of Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown." I was a fan of Keillor but I find myself laughing at the thought of him performing that one.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

The catch phrase actually came before the EP! They posted a video explaining its origin, which was picked up by Thile after hearing an audience member shout it out at a Telluride Bluegrass Festival years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    An interesting theoretical question, but you may be phrasing it from a slightly outdated view of the show. While in the beginning it certainly carried over much of its predecessor's basic form, as of this season (at the latest) nearly every identifiable piece of 'PHC baggage' has been jettisoned. St. Paul has been abandoned for NYC. Corny comedy skits and fake commercials are gone. A complete turnover of on (and off?)-air staff has occurred.
    You likely correct. I haven't listened in a while.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Where do you listen to this? I searched and just got Chinese web sites or 404 errors. Have a link?
    They have been different places. Mostly recently I have listened here.

https://beta.prx.org/stories/11181

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I loved the old show. I love LFH. Two different animals. Kind of like saying a wool sweater doesn't hold a candle to snow boots or the 20/20 news show doesn't hold a candle to the Andy Griffith show.
    One may be prefered over the other, but to make a comparison fails to rationalize the fact that they are too different to compare.
    Just my humble opinion.
    It is fair to compare them, since the Thile show is the successor to Garrison's Prairie Home Companion.

11. The following members say thank you to H.P. for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

It is fair to compare them, since the Thile show is the successor to Garrison's Prairie Home Companion.
    Absolutely. And there are a lot of differences. Keillor's was a laid-back hot cocoa with marshmallow, Thile's is a hyper-hopped espresso triple-shot.

Your weekend morning hot beverage of choice will probably determine which show you like or liked better.

Probably a generational thing, too......kinda like the ol' Thile vs Monroe debate......

(on guitar forums they have John Mayer vs BB King debates.....believe it or not....)

Not to belabor the point but it helps to understand the transition. Garrison OWNED AND OWNS Prairie Home Companion. He hired Thile to be the new host in the show that he still owned at that time and remained the Executive Producer. It was at distributed by Minnesota Public Radio's distribution arm, American Public Media.

When APM broke with Garrison Keillor the show was renamed and the ownership changed - in ways that I do not know. I think it's likely that Garrison owns NO PART of the new show, although he probably was bought out or is receiving some ongoing payments? Likely that APM own part or most of the show. Likely that Thile has some ownership stake. But Garrison is not Exec Producer and it is an entirely new show. Successor in the way the transition was carried out with stations. But an entirely new show. New ownership. New Production staff.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Nevertheless, it is fair to compare them.

Blog Entries

There is some truth to that. Is it an age thing? Boy I hope not.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm not necessarily a fan of Chris Thile - FWIW I tend to fall more into the Mike Compton camp (playing, stage presence, hair style...).

But, a couple of years ago Live From Here was passing thru Portland, OR and at the last minute they put tickets on sale for $15. I was like, "well, for $15, why not?". So I took my 10 year old daughter and we went. It truly was a great show. Super talented musicians, a comedy duo that was hilarious, and generally enjoyable.
    Was every musical act my cup of tea? Nope.
    But that's the good thing about a variety show - you can wait for the next act and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Kirk

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiltman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There is some truth to that. Is it an age thing? Boy I hope not.
    If I am any indication, it's not an age thing. By the end of PHC, I had stopped listening altogether. I found GK's program very tired. I find CT's new show refreshing and interesting. Yet admittedly, I am old. That said, I have maintained a young outlook, even younger than in my middle years.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Nevertheless, it is fair to compare them.
    I think it's also fair to not compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    If I am any indication, it's not an age thing. By the end of PHC, I had stopped listening altogether. I found GK's program very tired. I find CT's new show refreshing and interesting. Yet admittedly, I am old. That said, I have maintained a young outlook, even younger than in my middle years.
    Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotter For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Scotter;1743821]I think it's also fair to not compare them.

Fair enough.

Whew! I'm glad we settled that!

It takes much more than a gifted performer to pull off hosting a show like Chris Thile does. The fact that he can play with anybody on any type of music boggles my mind. He also has a certain humility and lets other performers shine at all times. He also rode out the entire Garrison Keillor going down in flames episode, along with rebranding the show, I think many other folks would have said "heck with that". Count me as a huge fan.
    AKA "golfunit"

I’m a huge CT fan, and IMHO the show can be almost sublime at times but a complete dud at other times. I thought the show last week was in the latter camp (with some exceptions). I’m especially put off by singers who can’t really sing. Reminds me of how Leo Kottke describes his singing as sounding like “geese far#s on a muggy day.” But then, I had the same hot/cold opinion of PHC. That’s why I listen to them in the background and turn the volume up or down depending on the performance. On balance, a thumbs up.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    I’m a huge CT fan, and IMHO the show can be almost sublime at times but a complete dud at other times. I thought the show last week was in the latter camp (with some exceptions). I’m especially put off by singers who can’t really sing. Reminds me of how Leo Kottke describes his singing as sounding like “geese far#s on a muggy day.” But then, I had the same hot/cold opinion of PHC. That’s why I listen to them in the background and turn the volume up or down depending on the performance. On balance, a thumbs up.
    Well said. The show does expose me to musicians I may not otherwise ever hear of. Some I like and some I don't. But, how would I ever know if LFH never exposed me to them? Admittedly, I am, myself, vintage and music that is sometimes embraced by a younger audience does not always set with me, but again, how will I know without being exposed?
    I would be quite pleased if LFH invited Billy Strings to guest on the show. CT, are you reading this?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Unless I happen to be in the car, I listen in a similar way and have it in the background, while I'm doing other things. If something is exceptional, I'll write it down and pull it up later on youtube or whatever.

Darryl Wolfe, folks please excuse me for breaking into your thread but since I am a cyber dolt this is the only way I can get a message to Darryl. Been going through stuff that's been packed away for decades and found a photo of 14 year old Darryl, his little brother, his dad and a few more pickers at the BG fester we met. Darryl, if you want a copy of said pic, text me at 505-240-4197
    Hope all all are well, Wayne

I was aware of the old PHC show, and even attended one with my family, in the early 90s I think, mainly because my parents loved listening to the Lake Wobegon segments, but I never listened as an adult.

I first became aware of Thile when he took over the show, and the only reason I tuned in was because Trey Anastasio was going to be a guest. I found Thile offputting at first but I continued to tune in. I quickly became a fan and started getting into his many projects - Punch Brothers, Nickel Creek, Goat Rodeo Sessions, etc as well as the regular house band members on the show like Brittany Haas, Sarah Jarosz, Chris Eldridge, Aoife O'Donovan.

I had been a rock guitar player for almost 30 years and was kind of burned out, but Thile's enthusiasm and the pure joy he exhibited while he watched the other musicians from the stage really reignited my interest, especially in acoustic music, which I had sort of abandoned when I got my first electric guitar as a kid.

I've attended four LFH's (Ravinia, Carnegie Hall and Tanglewood x 2), have gone to see Punch Brothers, Noam Pikelny & Stewart Duncan, I'm With Her, Hawktail, and have gotten to meet and chat with a few of these musicians. I also was inspired to buy a nice acoustic guitar and start attending bluegrass jams, and a few months ago bought my first mandolin.

LFH has made subtle changes every year, and while I miss the feel of being in a new city each week, and old segments like Fast AF fiddle tunes and the instant song requests (Chris picked my daughter's request once - In the Hall of the Mountain King - timestamp 1:04:10), I continue to tune in every week via the live stream on YouTube.

To me, Thile is a guy who loves music, wants to share it, and also happens to be a virtuoso on his instrument.

And that's all I've got to say about that.
    Eastman MD315

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveTheDrake For This Useful Post:

Tomorrow's show will have That Rhymin' Simon, yes, Paul Simon. And there will be video. I hope there's some mandolin on a Paul Simon tune or two.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic