Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

Default Re: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I think the new Live From Here show is pretty good. I could wish for changes, more music, less humor, but that is a taste thing. I would ideally love a long form interview format, Thile talking inside music and playing with new and well known artists. But who knows if that would go over well anyway.

Playing with new and well known artists?? Isn't that exactly what Chris is doing with Live From Here? I think it is going over well enough.

Woodsongs and Mountain Stage are great shows! But "Live From Here - Is there a better Music Show ANYWHERE?" IMO - No.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Someone should coin a term (like Godwin’s law, etc.) for when Thile gets mentioned and all hell breaks loose after.
    Done. I dub thee "Caleb's Law."

I imagine that the Wikipedia entry will read something like the following:

Caleb's law (or Caleb's rule of Thile uppityness) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a negative comparison involving Chris Thile approaches" that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare Chris Thile or his deeds as smug or pretentious, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    Done. I dub thee "Caleb's Law."

I imagine that the Wikipedia entry will read something like the following:

Caleb's law (or Caleb's rule of Thile uppityness) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a negative comparison involving Chris Thile approaches" that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare Chris Thile or his deeds as smug or pretentious, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends.
    That is great! But Scotter’s Law actually has a much better ring to it. Rolls off the tongue better and sounds more mysterious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Playing with new and well known artists?? Isn't that exactly what Chris is doing with Live From Here? I think it is going over well enough.

Woodsongs and Mountain Stage are great shows! But "Live From Here - Is there a better Music Show ANYWHERE?" IMO - No.
    We don't have to agree.

Live From Here hangs on to its roots and a musical and radio-skit comedy variety show. Garrison Keillor had a point of view and a way of writing that made Prairie Home Companion its own thing. I think it worked because the show was an homage to a long ago type of local, locally sponsored rural radio show. Powder Milk Biscuits was a take on Martha White, who sponsored Flat and Scruggs and so many others. Garrison Keillor is a master of rural literature and story telling. An his creation was wonderful.

I think it may take a while for Chris to make this his own thing. Or, perhaps it already is his own thing, in which case I could hope for more. But Chris is not a great or masterful rural author, and the homage just doesn't fit. Radio has moved on from those old time rural locally sponsored shows, and without the hands of a master of that kind of thing, the homage just doesn't work.

My opinion: I enjoy Chris the most when he talks seriously about music and composers and players and performances. I would love to see the Chris Thile Music Hour, with musical guests etc., something like a television talk show on the radio, with no comedy except or what springs spontaneously from Chris as he talks with the musicians.

Maybe that is a different show entirely. Fine. My opinion is that Live From Here is the closest I know of to what I personally would love, and now this is a better description of what I love posted.

As to the question "is there a better music show..." I took that to be a tongue in cheek kind of pronouncement, along the lines of "how fun is that?". Is there a better show anywhere? Is there I show I like better, anywhere. These are fun but pointless questions. I don't listen to or watch a lot of shows. Too busy picking!

Does anyone here like The KingPup Radio Show - Small Time Opry? Now there is a show without pretensions of being anything other than what it is. It is like a cast iron skillet, it does what it is supposed to do, real well, with no irony or or homage or pretension, and when you want a pancake or a fried egg, there is nothing better.
    Last edited by JeffD; Nov-11-2019 at 2:24pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

The Marty Stuart Show, Larry's Country Diner, The Bluegrass Trail, Country's Family Reunion, Hee Haw, Porter Wagoner, TruCountry...

So yes. RFD
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

NERD FIGHT!

I kid, y'all. I went to high school in the 80's in a place where I had zero access to accoutic music, Marty Stuart's hair would have seemed sort of tame, and I was subjected to Van Halen's "Jump!" enough times to make me wish I'd been born in a century before modern antibiotics. It's beyond wonderful to me that we get to argue which bluegrass/acoustic music shows, available for streaming at any time of the day or night, is the best. I never could have dreamed of such cultural riches when I was a teenager, even when all of the luminaries were alive and picking.
    Last edited by Joe Dodson; Nov-11-2019 at 2:23pm. Reason: I misspelled Marty Stuart's name. Booo!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dodson For This Useful Post:

I still remember those first A Prairie Home Companion shows and how corny they were -- in a very good, happy way. It may have been the first intentionally ironic show produced ever, not sure, but 35 years later we live in an age of ironic and retro everything......Quentin Tarantino, for example.

I can't expect a 30-something person to have the background to hit all the marks like someone who lived through it -- but, I am amazed at how well studied these musicians are. And, they do hit the musical marks -- that doesn't surprise me, music has always been a legacy -- it is the pop culture marks that do surprise me.

FWIW, underground artist Robert Williams speculates hundreds of years from now the future historians will refer to this time as the Rock'n'Roll Age, just like previous eras use loose classifications like the Ice Age, Stone Age, Industrial Age, etc. Us, aging boomers lived through a great era, at least musically. Imagine, being younger and feeling like you missed out on something that changed the world...

It's OK, they don't always get it "right," but they try and good music is good music.

(I hope that didn't sound smug or like an old grump.........)

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Yes, These were great shows ALSO! Perhaps, you left a few out like Mac Davis, Johnny Cash and West Virginia Mountain Stage. Again great shows. Aren't we lucky to have been born in or able to come to our wonderful country and be exposed to such fine entertainment! I'm thankful everyday. Keep Live From Here coming.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    ...Marty Stuart's hair would have seemed sort of tame, and I was subjected to Van Halen's "Jump!" enough times to make me wish I'd been born in a century before modern antibiotics.
    That's brilliant stuff there and I actually laughed out loud when I read it.

I sometimes watch Marty's show on RFD TV. The level of musicianship with him and his band is just flat out amazing. I could listen to him play simple stuff on the acoustic guitar all day; and though I could be wrong, he strikes me as a genuinely cool dude, like someone it might be fun to have a pint of beer with. His photography skills are also top tier.

There are several great music-related shows on RFD TV but I have cut back on my TV-watching and mostly just watch Woodsongs. "You don't have to be famous to be on Woodsongs, you just have to be good..." is the line Michael always says. Sometimes that is true, but now and then there will be some real groaners come along that make me wonder. There was a fellow on there recently (it would be ugly to name names) that was honestly one of the worst performers I've ever seen. But then they will have someone on who is flat out scary good. An odd mix for sure.

13. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I tend to stay out of these, but what the heck. The windchill is below 0 and I'm not going anywhere for a while.

I was struck by how Thile stayed out of the way of the band and singer during the Aoife O'Donovan portion of the Joni Mitchell birthday salute. Putting the song first is a sign of confidence and maturity.

But I have to ask Jeff Mando, and this is not an attempt to troll or start something, so please take it in the spirit of a a couple of guys talking music over a beer: You never got the sense that Elvis (Presley, I assume), Elton John or Michael Jackson were showing off? I mean ... really?

I’m not going to get into the Thile debate. There’s another great show that I don’t think has been mentioned. Bluegrass Underground. Definitely worth checking out!

I saw Nickel Creek in concert not long after their first album came out. Honestly, Chris's physical mannerisms were off-putting at first, the continual head jerking and facial and physical contortions seemed very weird and distracting to me. That being said, the band was VERY energetic and physical, unlike most bluegrass-type bands I had seen, and more like what I would imagine might be encountered with a high-octane punk band. Chris and Sean played the heck out of their instruments, all the time jumping and bouncing around like two pinballs (and Chris broke a string and had to replace it there onstage). In the end, my family and I walked out of that concert even more emphatic Nickel Creek fans than we already were. Chris is a master at the mandolin, but a ball of energy, too. He can control that energy (well, mostly) and play quiet and sweet, but he can windmill like a rocker!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Many of the other music shows mentioned are long distant memories - or recently ended, like Marty Stuart's show. Still wonderful to sample those oldies - even when the performers were singing along to prerecorded music (OFTEN!). But almost none are on the scale or ambition of LFH. Just the ability to host the range of bands and instruments and arrangements is out of reach to all but a few, like Austin City Limits. Lots of good radio and tv in the world, but comparing apples to apples, very few that are in this league.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

I'm not a big fan of the show, nor even of CT or mndln (although I do play a bit). But I agree with Brad here - the musical artistry and production is impeccable.

I've listened on a number of occasions and always appreciate the music, and calibre of musicianship - however not my style it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    I saw Nickel Creek in concert not long after their first album came out. Honestly, Chris's physical mannerisms were off-putting at first, the continual head jerking and facial and physical contortions seemed very weird and distracting to me. That being said, the band was VERY energetic and physical, unlike most bluegrass-type bands I had seen, and more like what I would imagine might be encountered with a high-octane punk band. Chris and Sean played the heck out of their instruments, all the time jumping and bouncing around like two pinballs (and Chris broke a string and had to replace it there onstage). In the end, my family and I walked out of that concert even more emphatic Nickel Creek fans than we already were. Chris is a master at the mandolin, but a ball of energy, too. He can control that energy (well, mostly) and play quiet and sweet, but he can windmill like a rocker!
    Like a lot of people, listening to Nickel Creek was one of the first times I ever remember hearing a mandolin (though it was the music of Kate Rusby a few years later that grabbed me and REALLY made me listen.) I was way into guitar when NC came out and was new to the acoustic music world. I remember wanting to hear more from Sean Watkins and thinking there was too much mandolin on the songs, and why would anyone bother about such a silly little instrument when one can play guitar. Kind of funny in hindsight. But I soon figured out just what a gifted player Thile is. I'm not the biggest fan of his music, but watching him do what he does is like watching a true master at work.

Not long ago I heard the Mike Marshall interview on the Mandolins and Beer podcast. He said something along the lines of, Thile is a phenomenon that only comes around every 100 years or so. That about sums it up.

The MacArthur Foundation seems to think well of Mr.Thile.

Just to balance out the thread, I'm a huge Chris Thille fan. I think he brings as big a bag of tricks to a fiddle tune as anyone I've ever heard, and has terrific versatility. Love to hear him play the Bach repertoire, for example. Is he the "best"? I think that's a meaningless term when you're speaking about people with that level of ability. He can certainly stand toe to toe with any other mandolin player I know of, however. As far as jerky mannerisms and whatnot, if you've ever watched footage of Andreas Segovia or Isaac Stern playing, you might agree that he's not alone in that.

I am a fan of Chris's music and have been since the first Nickel Creek album. I went to a concert when Nickel Creek was touring in support of their first album. At the time, they really were very young and their musicianship and stage presence was captivating. I have also attended a Punch Beothers concert and really enjoy what they are doing. Even if it is not your genre, please try be open to the craft and artistry of their work. It really is amazing. I believe that every genre, when performed sincerely, with skill and artistry, has something of value to offer. We just have to be open to it.

As for some of the comments about Chris in this thread and others, let me just offer this. Through a mutual friend, I have met Chris. I found him to be open and generous. His enthusiasm is quite characteristic of his personality. But he is really down-to-earth as well. Within minutes of meeting him, he was showing me pictures of his then new baby. I certainly can't say that I know him well, but he is a real person, not just a stage persona. I respect him as such, as well as for being a truly great artist.

Just my two cents worth.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This all seems besides the point. However great and amazing and world changing Chris Thile is, or isn't, the show isn't the Chris Thile Show.

Here is an interesting question - what do you think the format of Live From Here would be if it was born brand new and didn't carry Prairie Home Companion baggage. What would it be if Chris Thile had invented it from whole cloth, not inherited it from someone else. Would it be popular, interesting. Would NPR carry it. Would we like it? Would the public like it? Would young people like it?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

This all seems besides the point. However great and amazing and world changing Chris Thile is, or isn't, the show isn't the Chris Thile Show.

Here is an interesting question - what do you think the format of Live From Here would be if it was born brand new and didn't carry Prairie Home Companion baggage. What would it be if Chris Thile had invented it from whole cloth, not inherited it from someone else. Would it be popular, interesting. Would NPR carry it. Would we like it? Would the public like it? Would young people like it?
    An interesting theoretical question, but you may be phrasing it from a slightly outdated view of the show. While in the beginning it certainly carried over much of its predecessor's basic form, as of this season (at the latest) nearly every identifiable piece of 'PHC baggage' has been jettisoned. St. Paul has been abandoned for NYC. Corny comedy skits and fake commercials are gone. A complete turnover of on (and off?)-air staff has occurred.

So it mostly has become the Chris Thile show, for better or worse depending on your viewpoint: 85% music, 5% professional stand-up comedians, 5% Broadway monologues or author readings, 5% interstitial chatter. That's it. Is he a visionary host who could bring a new radio variety show to a national audience? No. But I'd wager most people who don't know the legacy have any idea it's the 'New Prairie Home Companion'. Which it no longer is, IMO. I do think that without the forced name change so soon after launch, the show likely would have collapsed under the weight of its expectations. But that's a discussion for another time.

It sort of reminds me of when Jon Stewart took over The Daily Show from Craig Kilborn back in '99. The structure and most popular bits were kept at first to smooth the transition, but it slowly morphed to fit the current host's preferences to great acclaim. (I haven't really watched the show since dropping cable over a decade ago so don't know much about how it is under Trevor Noah). Unlike that example though, I don't think LFH will approach anywhere near the popularity of PHC, but it's also laboring under a completely different media landscape and Thile doesn't seem interested in appealing to the 'general audience'.

C. ~/:/~
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

I'm a little embarassed to say I stopped listening to the show at least a decade before Garrison Keilor retired, and I haven't come back since Chris took over. I would add it to my podcasts in a heartbeat if it was available that way, but I'm out of the habbit of listening to terrestrial radio and all of the filler verbage that goes with it. So, I guess that's one data point. But Live From Here is one of the few things I've heard about that even tempts me to switch away from spotify/podcasts back to the radio.

Does anyone here like The KingPup Radio Show - Small Time Opry? Now there is a show without pretensions of being anything other than what it is. It is like a cast iron skillet, it does what it is supposed to do, real well, with no irony or or homage or pretension, and when you want a pancake or a fried egg, there is nothing better.
    Where do you listen to this? I searched and just got Chinese web sites or 404 errors. Have a link?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Joe, you can stream the audio of the shows at livefromhere.org -- they might be all archived there. You don't have to listen on the radio.

I prefer catching the show when there's a live video feed. It's so much better seeing the interaction and you get the pre and post show jams which can be epic.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Doesn't hold a candle to Garrison's old show.

31. The following members say thank you to H.P. for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I still miss Hootenany.

=O[