Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straps

Blog Entries

Default Straps

Hi, Everyone:

So... I'm looking for a new mandolin strap. I currently have a well-used, somewhat tattered leather Weber strap. It's been functional, but is not very comfortable. I'd like a wider, cloth strap, kind of like guitar straps I've seen, but obviously not as long so it can fit a mandolin.

Any leads?
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Default Re: Straps

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    Hi, Everyone:

So... I'm looking for a new mandolin strap. I currently have a well-used, somewhat tattered leather Weber strap. It's been functional, but is not very comfortable. I'd like a wider, cloth strap, kind of like guitar straps I've seen, but obviously not as long so it can fit a mandolin.

Any leads?
    I really like Legacystraps. They come in all sorts of interesting patterns and multiple widths

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Legacy...de/15976997011

3. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

I have two Eldorado straps, like them very much. They're leather, not cloth, but simple, high quality, comfortable.

If you’re ok with leather the big stables often throw out old bridles, they make great mandolin straps -that’s as long as you’re audience is ok with the smell of horses.

Old leather belts (and cloth) in second hand stores too, they’re often short or slightly damaged, but it’s better than trashing them. Most people who repair shoes will modify them for you.

Bill Bailey Straps ! Own four of them !

Have you considered using a guitar strap? I’ve tied a leather bootlace through the end of the strap on the neck side. Being able to use a guitar strap gives you lots of choices!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I have two from Mandolin Straps of Montana that I like a lot, hand tooled leather. Sully Straps are great too, he uses old bridle leather for his vintage line of straps.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

So, what you want then is a Souldier mandolin strap. Way more comfortable than any skinny leather or other material cord type, these are 1” wide, clever design and hardware, great for either A or F instruments and the largest and coolest custom selection of patterns found. I never understood why these have not dominated the esoteric sector of mandolin straps for years. This must all sound like I’m working for them or have some stake in it but nope, just a fan! See: https://www.souldier.us/CustomMandolinStraps.aspx
    Dean.

I use this on mandolin, octave mandolin, and guitar. absolutely love them. don't let the cost fool you, they work great. infinitely adjustable and oh so easy to slip the front under the A style strings past the nut, it clips on, and adjusts there and back at the endpin. feel light as a feather yet support the instrument wonderfully.

can be removed totally in about 2 minutes, likewise put on(first time will take you a few more to adjust to size for yourself).
    you don't feel the weight of the instrument, the strap/instrument does not slip, nothing digs into nothing. easily fits inside the case without issue while still attached.
    https://neotechstraps.com/mandolin-strap.html
    watch the video in the link. nothing is junk on this, all the connectors and parts are high quality.

I would suggest buying straight from Neotech, I have heard some folks buy from ebay or amazon and get cheap import fakes/and or/ not get all the pieces that allow infinite adjustment.
    Our worship team at church use a bunch of these as they take weight off when playing heavy bass or electric guitars.

I don't own one yet, but I like the looks of the Lakota Leather straps, made from elkhide. In the mean time, I made my own for my A model from paracord. It was quite simple and it works great. A slipknot at one end and I made the loop as a retraced figure eight knot, which is very easy with an already doubled cord. I think it was like 55 inches of cord all-in. Took three minutes.
    Last edited by Elliot Luber; Nov-02-2019 at 1:37pm. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    I don't own one yet, but I like the looks of the Lakota Leather straps, made from elkhide. In the mean time, I made my own for my A model from paracord. It was quite simple and it works great. A slipknot at one end and I made the loop as a retraced figure eight knot, which is very easy with an already doubled cord. I think it was like 55 inches of cord all-in. Took three minutes.
    I’ve made a few straps with paracord too. I think it’s at least 400 lb. breaking strain, (it’s never going to break) and a Fisherman’s knot works well at each end (if you pull it tight, it will NOT come off).

One slight issue though is when you cut it and heat the end to prevent it from fraying then the resulting molten plastic can sometimes be very sharp...

Another issue is that the cord itself, though seemingly soft and flexible, can in fact be quite abrasive -though some of the commercially available ones I’ve seen have chunky plastic buckles so in comparison the cord is probably more gentle.

On one of mine I’ve surrounded the picking end of the cord with a small piece of Polartec material from an old sweater. Works well, and like some of the tunes, I’ve made them mine. Though I guess if I played on stage I’d have to buy one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B78B2AD8-B334-492A-A5E0-2FF7259807CB.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	663.6 KB 
ID:	180972

Name:	1F372212-9A27-4271-8FEE-CC6ADFA91F04.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	650.3 KB 
ID:	180973

Name:	6E6C3962-4E3A-49E3-AFCB-9F81E94A17B0.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	464.8 KB 
ID:	180974

Here’s another, a cheaper one, I have a quite a few that were camera straps, Olympus, Zeiss, Nikon etc. -really expensive at the time!
    They make nice mandolin straps.

Name:	03836ACA-F870-4062-BEAA-74139CC163C5.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	390.1 KB 
ID:	180975

A plain non-adjustable dog leash works for me - if it worked for him...

Name:	Mon.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	180985

15. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    Hi, Everyone:

Any leads?
    I’m not a big fan of looping a thong around the body under the fingerboard on an A style mandolin. I assume you’re referring to your Collings...if you don’t want to install a pin, go to the headstock with a cool retro 1.25 - 2.00 woven pattern cloth strap, maybe try Etsy.
    Last edited by mtucker; Nov-03-2019 at 6:03pm.

As a FAQ, I forget what I said all the other time this was asked

My old A4 I use a chair.. My Djangolin I use a Uke strap (which Ive called a Mariachi guitar strap..)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Exclamation Re: Straps

... " I'd like a wider, cloth strap, kind of like guitar straps I've seen, ...)

some one with a belt loom can make you one ..

I have one from a local crafts fair, Made for me by a young woman , selling there..

You can even make the belt loom yourself and weave one on your own..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I have two from Mandolin Straps of Montana that I like a lot, hand tooled leather.
    Own two as well. They are beautiful and Alan is a pleasure to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Bill Bailey Straps ! Own four of them !
    Yes to this. Leather braided in a flat strap pattern. Comfortable, adjustible, secure, and handsome. It will last a lifetime or two.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks atsunrise! I have not experienced any of these problems but it's good to be aware of the risks. I'm currently working on a strad-o-lin project, but after that I'll probably get the Lakotah strap.

22. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Ahrend View Post
    A plain non-adjustable dog leash works for me - if it worked for him...

Name:	Mon.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	180985
    Nice Hendrick.
    That’s a good way to reuse a leash, but what happened to the dog, did it get loose?

It is worrying. The breaking strain on that cord is maybe 200 pounds, what kind of dog are we talking about here?

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    Nice Hendrick.
    That’s a good way to reuse a leash, but what happened to the dog, did it get loose?

It is worrying. The breaking strain on that cord is maybe 200 pounds, what kind of dog are we talking about here?
    Simon, I actually have two of those leashes. My "boys" haven't needed a leash for several months now. They always behave and do just what I tell them to, using simple commands, such as "rosebud"...

25. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

If only Webb Straps of Monroe,Virginia still made mandolin straps. They are a very comfortable cloth strap with Guatemalan type designs and secure nylon body attachments. No metal,no leather. Elderly used to sell them. Been using two different ones on mandos and one on guitar for about 25 years or so. They are so Vegan.

And they are made in Monroe...Va.

That dark-stained,leather dog leash on Bill's white suit jacket makes me cringe.

Have used the woven kangaroo straps like Carmel used to sell. Nearly dropped my mando when the flat leather piece that attaches to the end pin unceremoniously broke. Just a word of caution. Even a straplock would not have helped in that situation.

I get a high quality belt at second hand store. cut the buckle out with bolt cutters, put a leather shoe lace in buckle mount to loop around the f scroll and on the opposite end (non buckle) I punch hole and cut a slot. most are 1" wide and super comfy. you can adjust length by the length of the leather shoelace. Prefer it to every shop made strap I have used. oh, also works around the headstock of my A5

I placed and order with The Mandolin Store and got a few items by mistake. One was a Lakota strap made with elk leather. Very soft and supple. Not too cheap but if I was feeling flush and had a need for a strap I would go for one of those. Unfortunately I had to return the one they sent. But at least I got to handle it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"If only Webb Straps of Monroe,Virginia still made mandolin straps. They are a very comfortable cloth strap with Guatemalan type designs and secure nylon body attachments. No metal,no leather. Elderly used to sell them. Been using two different ones on mandos and one on guitar for about 25 years or so. They are so Vegan.

And they are made in Monroe...Va." - V70416

I miss the Webb I once owned. It looked so good with the mandolin that I felt like I needed to include it with the sale. I wish I had known that they would no longer be available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	363.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	181059  
    Last edited by jim simpson; Nov-08-2019 at 1:31pm.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band