Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marty Stuart's ex-Loar?

Default Re: Marty Stuart's ex-Loar?

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I use that quote often when people get a little “Too serious”!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

2. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Man "HappyPickin" not even striking a chord or some noodling around! I'd love to go to Carters right now as they have what 5 Loars and the first Unsigned, some other interesting ones like that Victorian etc. Yes all them oldies smell great!
    The strings had been loosened. I did pick a few notes though just to say I'd played a Loar. Truthfully, I was so excited that I was buying that Birdseye Northfield Artist that Marty Stuart himself could have walked in and I wouldn't have noticed. BTW, the Loar smelled a bit like old furniture...and money.
    Out of tune and out of time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyPickin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPickin View Post
    The strings had been loosened.
    Is this a common practice? Loosening the strings to reduce stress? On what? The glue joints? The wood?

Never heard of it, except when shipping......

Any ideas?

In response to William, I played the Mavian Loar when Bob had it. It’s the nicest sounding Loar I have played (and I have played some very nice ones). When it appeared at Carter’s I told my wife (only partly in jest) that it was worth dipping into our retirement for, but unfortunately she did not agree. The sound you hear on the Case Brothers recordings reflects Bob’s wonderful musicianship as well as the exceptional tone of this instrument.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy B For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Andy B, That is a pretty good one, but all are different, I've only ever been lucky enough to stroke a handful of Loar F-5's, including mine. A load of 20's-late 30's F-5's also, But if I had the extra $ I may be tempted again to buy Bob's, Do you know if he was 2nd owner or so because he had that a very long time if I'm not mistaken, since the late 60's or so I thought? My wife wouldn't mind me getting another, she has never gave me any grief on any of my mandolin and guitar buying as she knows the old stuff is like $ in the bank. "I thought I was going to hear it when I bought a very early mid 20's Fern, a 26 awhile back but nothing-when I told her about it she said buy it!" I'd rather have my $ into something I can play I guess. My Loar has a Virzi and I love the tone, voice but sure I need one without next-FUNNY! No I'm very content, but........

9. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

From the few,3,Loars I have played and the one '29 Fern,I reckon I would prefer a mid to late 20's Fern as my Holy Grail mando. (With a 1" plus a hair nut.)

Just a generalization.

Those birdseye Northfields are gorgeous.

But so is Marty.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70416 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post

Those birdseye Northfields are gorgeous.

But so is Marty.
    Very true on both accounts but I'm only permitted to take one of them home with me...sigh.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190813_173831.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	560.3 KB 
ID:	181032

13. The following members say thank you to HappyPickin for this post:

V70416 

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Is this a common practice? Loosening the strings to reduce stress? On what? The glue joints? The wood?

Never heard of it, except when shipping......

Any ideas?
    The strings were not floppy loose but were detuned to where it far from being in tune.

15. The following members say thank you to HappyPickin for this post:

[QUOTE=Jeff Mando;1741743]30 million would probably buy the whole state of Mississippi and maybe Arkansas, too.........

Dude, I live in Arkansas and there is a lot of BIG money here whether you believe it or not. Ever hear of Wal Mart, Tyson's, J.B. Hunt, etc.?

[QUOTE=Jeff Mando;1741743] 30 million would probably buy the whole state of Mississippi and maybe Arkansas, too.........

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    I live in Arkansas and there is a lot of BIG money here whether you believe it or not. Ever hear of Wal Mart, Tyson's, J.B. Hunt, etc.?
    You already replied to that comment. Last year.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ColdBeerGoCubs For This Useful Post:

If it was good once, it’s still good, right?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett