Thread: Picking up an Ashbury mandolin in Vietnam

Default Picking up an Ashbury mandolin in Vietnam

Hi,

Has anyone had experience buying a mandolin/octave mandolin (etc) in Vietnam? I've heard that Ashbury manufactures over there and am passing through early next year for a trip. Ashbury doesn't seem to distribute to Australia.
    Would love to hear if anyone has experience/info on this.

Cheers!

Default Re: Picking up an Ashbury mandolin in Vietnam

The dealers, at least for the UK are Gremlin Music, I wrote to them but no reply as yet.
    https://www.gremlinmusic.co.uk/produ...tGroup=310-000

I don’t know about sales policies and all that but I imagine they’d probably rather you buy it in the UK.
    Transport for them from Vietnam to the UK probably isn’t much of the retail price, maybe.

However the overall prices look like they are up on last year, and I’m having some difficulty finding details on the once available high range mandolas. I hope they’re still available because some of them are really beautiful.

I have read about a street in Ho Chi Minh City they call “Guitar Street”. There are over 30 luthiers within 500 yards of each other. Quality can range from miserable to top of the line. If the Ashbury label is not important to you you can probably find something nice on that street. Make sure you shy away from those that use native woods. They likely aren’t seasoned correctly. There are Vietnamese luthiers who use seasoned European and American wood. Those are the ones you want. Other than that it should be pretty easy to judge workmanship and tone quality.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Thanks Don, I had a wander down that street on google maps.

Here you go: Guitar Street article.

Here is the link on Google Maps.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I'll definitely be checking it out! Anyone familiar with any of the luthiers on the street? Would be helpful to have a name to go off.