Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has thin bluechips?

Default Who has thin bluechips?

I have been using a TAD 45 for a while now, having thinned down from TAD 50. I think I want to go thinner...do any of you use a TAD 40 or thinner? Does it remain stiff at the thinner gauges? I’m playing hard drivin bluegrass with a heavy handed technique.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

2. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Default Re: Who has thin bluechips?

I use a 40 for most of my electric mando playing, or a 35 if it's a funky, James Brown-ish groove I'm after. (I do prefer a 50 for acoustic, however.)

The thinner the pick, the less stiff it is, but I think my preferences are based on tone rather than how the pick feels.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

I use a TPR35 and don't find that it flexes at all really - the main difference I find between it and heavier Blue Chips is the tone - if I use a TPR40 the tone is a bit warmer and fuller sounding with more volume, but I find that the TPR35 moves across the strings easier for me so I prefer it for that reason. FYI I also play Irish traditional music exclusively.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Jill was the one who turned me on to 35s in the first place.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I use a TPR35 and don't find that it flexes at all really - the main difference I find between it and heavier Blue Chips is the tone - if I use a TPR40 the tone is a bit warmer and fuller sounding with more volume, but I find that the TPR35 moves across the strings easier for me so I prefer it for that reason. FYI I also play Irish traditional music exclusively.
    Speed is my concern. My band has been together for 15 years and we tend to pick the fast ones at warp speed. I’ve been getting thinner picks as we get faster. My thin Red Bear pick get soft from hand heat, and the synthetic materials (non BC) have the plastic click. I’m hoping that the thin BC will still have the BC properties that I love in the 45TAD...
    I’m considering getting a 40 and a 35 then returning the one that doesn’t suit my need. Guess I just gotta take the leap.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

10. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Have mainly used the TPD 40 since they were first available. Originally on guitar, then on mandolin when I got serious about it. Still my go to pick. Recently started using a TD 35 on some mandolins. A bit brighter, but don't notice any more flexibility.

Still have a TPD 50 sitting around that occasionally gets used, but it's too thick and dark for my tastes.

FYI, playing Scandinavian, Upper Midwest, and now Quebec music. Not bluegrass or ITM.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

12. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I have a BC 35 as recommended by Jill McCauley ! Love it on some songs but also use a tad 45 and less often a 55. 35 really shines for those triplets and when you want to play faster/quicker.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

When I used BC picks I started thicker, then ended up with a 35. I liked the sound way more, especially on the G string. I now use a Wegen 100 that I thinned down even more for better sound. It all depends on the sound of your mandolin how thin/thick your pick needs to be. I never felt using a thinner pick was faster. I play for square dances and some of the tempos are fast, never had a problem with a BC60 or 35 keeping up.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

I switch between a TD35 and TD40 on acoustic guitar depending on my mood and feel at the time. I also use the 40 sometimes on oval hole mandolins. I don't notice any compromise in stiffness compared to the 50 or 60 when playing with the 40 but maybe just a little on the 35, just a difference in tone and picking effort compared to the 50 or 60 I usuallly use on mandolin.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Rucker For This Useful Post:

I've used a TAD40-1R for several years now on mandolin, octave mandolin, and steel string acoustic guitar. No flex at all. I play Scottish, Irish, and related traditional music, and anything thicker doesn't work for me with treble ornaments. I like the way the same "mandolin" pick can work well on acoustic guitar.

I should probably try a 35 thickness, I've just never gotten around to it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Trying to get a 35 in the TPR or TAD shape. I only see a TD 35, and I would like a larger pick than the regular guitar shape.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Trying to get a 35 in the TPR or TAD shape. I only see a TD 35, and I would like a larger pick than the regular guitar shape.
    Recently I inquired at bluechip and was told that they can and will make custom thicknesses in finer than 5mil steps, so not seeing it on their site is not a limitation.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Never used one thinner than a 50.

Will BC make a pick shaped like a Wegen? I need to give them a call.

I play hardcore bluegrass on a F5 with med./ hvy. strings,,I've tried everything,have a pick collection going back over 50 years,,,the beSt pick ever is the BC jazz LG 35...thin,very stiff,brings out the best tone..

25. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

I use TAD40 for acoustic guitar. This replaced countless numbers of similar shaped and thickness Ultem picks which wore out from my heavy-handed rhythm playing. I used to use small Jazz 35 for mandolin and still lean toward that pointier and lighter for classical playing but generally now use TP50 for most mandolin playing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Default For mandolin -

I use the TP40 and like its pointy tip. Soon I'll add a TP45.

I just ordered the tad 40, I'll report my experience soon. I was going to get thinner, but they won't accept returns on custom, and everything under 40 is custom.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I Like TD 35 or TD 40 for mandolin and guitar, I play folk and classical mostly, but some bluegrass and Celtic music. I prefer the thinner picks in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    I'm pretty sure when I ordered my TPR35 I emailed them and asked if they could do a 35 in that shape and it was no problem - I think they had me place the order for a TPR40 but put a request for it to be a 35 as a note with the order. I also picked up a couple of second hand TPR35's that were made for Carter Vintage Guitars and are stamped with that on one side.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

32. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I went the other direction but most don't like a pointy pick I have a couple TP1R 40 and 60 but I also have the BC Jazz LG 60. I find the pointy fatter pick gives some of the attack and brightness the thinner picks give but still has some of the fullness of the thicker picks. The thing is most people don't like the pointy picks on mandolin becasue if you dig to deep it the tip can get hung up and a lot of people like rounder for how they glide across the strings. All personal preference. I like all my BC for different reasons and for switching up fun.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

My thin picks are Fender heavy 346 shape the blue chips are thicker , Dawg a bit thicker yet.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm interested to hear that people are using thinner picks on mandolin. It took me a long time to come around to using big triangle, thicker picks for mandolin, but it improved my playing rapidly. I currently use a CT-55 or smooth Primetone 1.4 pretty much interchangeably. It seems I get a louder sound with less effort with thicker picks. Also, the physics of pushing a pick through doubled courses at high tension dictates that a thicker pick will carry more momentum and require less muscle to get the job done. For me, the speed bevel is also a real benefit for playing fast. Matt, I'm sorry I didn't catch this thread until after you ordered. I have a TAD 3R - 40 I got years ago when I first venture in BC territory, I'd have mailed it to you- haven't touched it in several years.

For guitar, I do use a TAD 40 1R when playing rhythm for jigs and reels. It has just the right amount of give and string noise for fast rhythm (similar to what I was getting from Clayton acetyls) but of course doesn't wear out at all. Ahh picks… the experiment continues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I have a BC 35 as recommended by Jill McCauley ! Love it on some songs but also use a tad 45 and less often a 55. 35 really shines for those triplets and when you want to play faster/quicker.
    yankees1: I would like to ask for the sake of my own consideration: Do you get the speed bevel or the round? I was thinking the rounded may be more usable on all corners, as needed?
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    yankees1: I would like to ask for the sake of my own consideration: Do you get the speed bevel or the round? I was thinking the rounded may be more usable on all corners, as needed?
    For meself, I always get the speed bevel, I did buy one BlueChip with the rounded bevel and wasn't really happy with it, felt a little clunky and not as fast as the speed bevel to me.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

38. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I have never tried a speed bevel but I don’t have any issue with the normal BC edge. I mentioned in another thread I always used thick picks, 2-3 mm or more. But going to BC I didn’t need them that thick. It seems for me it was more
    About rigidity, like Jill mentions they just don’t seem to flex and it seems after some consideration and grabbing old picks and trying, it is the flex I don’t like. With the BC I like thicker not so much for the tone but for the feel because I got used to holding a thicker pick the 40 feels insignificant and the 60 more comfortable to grip. So it isn’t all about thickness it is also material flex tip shape and feel that make
    These picks so good.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never tried a speed bevel but I don’t have any issue with the normal BC edge. I mentioned in another thread I always used thick picks, 2-3 mm or more. But going to BC I didn’t need them that thick. It seems for me it was more
    About rigidity, like Jill mentions they just don’t seem to flex and it seems after some consideration and grabbing old picks and trying, it is the flex I don’t like. With the BC I like thicker not so much for the tone but for the feel because I got used to holding a thicker pick the 40 feels insignificant and the 60 more comfortable to grip. So it isn’t all about thickness it is also material flex tip shape and feel that make
    These picks so good.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

40. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post: