Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has thin bluechips?

Default Re: Who has thin bluechips?

The only thing I care about is sound. I like the way the BC glides across the strings, but the Wegen is very similar. The 35 BC was not giving me the sound I wanted, nor the TF100 Wegen. I thinned the Wegen and now it is great. Not sure about thinning a BC, but unless you have a very bright mandolin those thick picks are dead sounding on the lower strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Just got my BC TAD 40 today. If love it. My BC pic progression has been TP 65, TP 55, TAD 60, CT55( which is a TAD55), TAD 50, TAD 45, and now the TAD 40.
    I’ve sold all the thicker ones, in case you worried that I had +$200 BC collection!

The attack is deep and thunky, not smooth like thicker models. My Ratliff is deep and woody toned, so it doesn’t suffer from needing to be darkened.
    It is a fast and precise pick, and gave me the sense of control that I felt the thicker picks distract from.
    I’ll report back after my next gig this week.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontanaMatt For This Useful Post:

I have a TAD 60, TD 50, & TPR 40. Currently favoring the 40. Don Rigsby recommended the 40.

Interestingly, I was selling a BlueChip Kenny Smith 40 and picked it up to play with the other day and found that because of it's smaller than usual size it worked well for me - I've tried a TPR40 in the past and ended up selling it as I felt that it hindered me a wee bit when playing triplets, they weren't quite as clean as I like them to be. For some reason with the smaller sized KS40 that's not an issue and I really like the tone I'm getting with it! Guess it's not for sale anymore!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I use a TPR35 and don't find that it flexes at all really - the main difference I find between it and heavier Blue Chips is the tone - if I use a TPR40 the tone is a bit warmer and fuller sounding with more volume, but I find that the TPR35 moves across the strings easier for me so I prefer it for that reason. FYI I also play Irish traditional music exclusively.
    I use a small Jazz 35 for Irish, klezmer and classical. It seems a little less 'warm' than the TPR 35 and it is a bit harder to do tremlo. (for that, I use the rounded side). But I love that it can be very quick and articulate. And volume is no problem. I think all BC picks are stiff, maybe the thin one bends a little, but I think that I compensate with "letting the pick move" rather than 'moving the strings with the pick'. The thicker picks do move across the strings easier as Jill says.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Blog Entries

I added a Blue Chip SR 60 this week with the round bevel. I also own a CT 55. They are worth the price!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I have been using a TAD 45 for a while now, having thinned down from TAD 50. I think I want to go thinner...do any of you use a TAD 40 or thinner? Does it remain stiff at the thinner gauges? I’m playing hard drivin bluegrass with a heavy handed technique.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    I've never played them, but I believe there's a company out there called Charmed Life that uses the same or similar material that BC uses and I think they might go a little thinner. Again, never played 'em, but have buddies who have.

M&M

9. The following members say thank you to Mando&Me for this post:

TD35, speed bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando&Me View Post
    I've never played them, but I believe there's a company out there called Charmed Life that uses the same or similar material that BC uses and I think they might go a little thinner. Again, never played 'em, but have buddies who have.

M&M
    I have a Charmed Life pick in the material they use that is similar to BC's. I have one in .70mm gauge (which replaced the .60mm I'd originally purchased that chipped after 5 min of playing, but they were stand up about replacing it). They advertise the .60mm as being for "soft strumming", stating that they're not intended for "heavy lead playing. I use it for strumming guitar - don't know how it would stand up to tenor banjo playing and it's too thin for mandolin playing for my liking.

BC will make thinner picks as custom orders - I seem to remember seeing a guitar shop (who's name I no longer remember) advertising a run of custom thin BC picks - they were thinner than BC's usual thinnest pick the 35's. Wish I could remember the name of that shop now!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Whatever the thickness or brand I want speed bevels.

I like to add a little steeper bevel on a Red Bear Xtra heavy for mandolin.

I've gone from SR60 to SR50 and now to SR40, playing all of them on the round side. I prefer the thinner, currently.

14. The following members say thank you to blacktop for this post: