Thread: How to change strings on mandolin with different headstock???

Question How to change strings on mandolin with different headstock???

I can't remember how to change strings on bowl-back suzuki m-30 mandolin. The headstock is different than most American mandolins. My grandpa told me when need to change mandolin string to twist the string once but i can't remember more...
    Please help me!

http:://shop.r10s.jp/owariya-gakki/c...ndolin/m30.jpg

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: How to change strings on mandolin with different headstock???

Quote Originally Posted by number0 View Post
    My grandpa told me ... to twist the string once but i can't remember more...
    A Suzuki is not much different than any other "slot-head" mandolin or guitar. And re-stringing any of them is pretty similar. Here's Frank Ford's demo of re-stringing a (non-slotted) mandolin (Frets.com). I suspect that grandpa's "twist the string once" is what he's showing on the 3rd set of panels in, which is not much different on a slot-head than on a flat peghead.
    http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...dostring1.html

A concern on some slot-heads is weather to reel the excess string toward the center of the peghead or toward the outside. It's cleaner if you can keep the string from digging into the wood on the edge of the slot, both for tuning consistency and cosmetics. Depending on the specific instrument, some strings may have to wind inward and others wind outward, or it may not matter if neither rubs on the slot edge.

Hope this hepls!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson