Thread: Any new pedals for multi-instrumentalists?

Default Any new pedals for multi-instrumentalists?

I currently play seven different acoustic instruments on stage with my band. For quite a few years I have been using a Zoom A3 (not AC-3). This pedal allows me to setup presets for each instrument (modelling, EQ, compression, etc) and select between them. This way, I have only one cable to deal with. The A3 has worked fairly well but I always wish it had an up and down preset select buttons. Currently, all I can do is scroll through the presets. Not a big deal but if something came out that is better, I'd give it a shot. For some unknown reason, manufacturers seem to think people play a single acoustic instrument and don't need presets. The Zoom AC-3 would have been great, had they gave you a way to save presets. As it is, it pales in comparison to the earlier A3 model.

Let me know if you've tried something that worked very well for multiple instruments. Fast switching is key.

Needed features:
    1) EQ - at least 7 bands
    2) Acoustic modelling
    3) Piezo de-quacker inputs
    4) At least 7 presets that are user savable
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Collings 0002H
    Couple of Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Default Re: Any new pedals for multi-instrumentalists?

I think it would be happenstance to find anything from a perfectly reasonable marketing stance. Say you have a hundred guitar players wanting a multi effects pedal. Pretty big market, but 30 of those guitarists are acoustic players. Maybe 20 dabble in both. So, maybe it is worth adding a few features to attract that crowd. Perhaps an impedance switch and five or so presets, or a notch filter. So you add the features and you lose market share to the electric guitar crowd because you added and acoustic amp modeler. Those guys don't want to pay for that. So 30 out of a hundred are acoustic players, and 5 of those gig regularly on mandolin, or maybe they play electric, acoustic and mandolin over the course of an evening, so wouldn't three channel inputs be nifty, and you'd need phantom power too. So you end up serving a market of three. Two of those will pay a high price for your nifty gadget. So you sell two units. Zoom sells seventy or so. Over simplification I'm sure, but you get the idea.

I had a friend who worked in the electric instrument division of Hewlett Packard. The designers would often design a super product, over designed for what the marketplace wanted. Management had to put constraints on the design, and try to give customers what they were really going to use at the price they were willing to pay..
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

lenf12