Thread: Looking for mando arrangements of Jewish music, prayers

Default Looking for mando arrangements of Jewish music, prayers

Hi all,

Has anyone come across mandolin arrangements to traditional Jewish songs/prayers? I'm thinking "Hebrew School/Synagogue" stuff - such as Mah To Vu, Adon Olam, etc... I belong to a little temple and the Sunday school principal asked if I wanted to provide some musical accompaniments to his guitar sometime. I'm a pretty unskilled beginner mandolin player but it seems like a doable feat. Just wondering if anyone has encountered similar works and if there are materials available.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Looking for mando arrangements of Jewish music, prayers

Take a look at this Google search.

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

mtndan 

I used to play in my synagogue band and we had our own arrangements. We did play one Klezmer tune but, for the most part, we accompanied the Cantor or the choir with std tunes that were used in the service like those mentioned above. You don't say whether you read music or not, but there should be lead sheets for these tunes available or perhaps the principal can arrange some for you.

I found this site with some sheet music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You might also consider looking at violin/fiddle music. I know the Kol Nidre played in my synagogue when I was a kid was done as a fiddle solo and I specifically recall seeing the musician (one of our elderly doctors) with music stand and music. That whole 'fiddler on the roof' thing, you know. just a thought.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Thanks everyone for your input. I am a poor reader of music but could probably figure some stuff out. If I come up with anything interesting, I'll post it as a tabledit file ok?

Blog Entries

I have music for a few. Ill try to post them before Shabbat, but no promises.

Blog Entries

OK, so it took me a week. Been busy with stuff.

Take a look at this website. jewishguitarchords.com It's all chords, not a note of standard musical notation, but just what you were looking for.

A great site . . . If anything, it's too much.

9. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

mtndan 

I think he was looking for some mandolin tab arrangements of these songs. Also, I would think that the arrangements might not coincide with his principals. I would still say to coordinate with the principal and work out arrangements that way. I know that there are differences in arrangements for tunes depending on the synagogue and there are some tunes that have modern arrangements. Plus you also need to transpose most likely to whatever the singers or choirs keys.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes but all good info. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think he was looking for some mandolin tab arrangements of these songs. Also, I would think that the arrangements might not coincide with his principals. I would still say to coordinate with the principal and work out arrangements that way. I know that there are differences in arrangements for tunes depending on the synagogue and there are some tunes that have modern arrangements. Plus you also need to transpose most likely to whatever the singers or choirs keys.

Good afternoon,

Wondering if you ever found these arrangements. Like you (or like you were in 2013), I am a beginner. Would love some mando arrangements for SAturday morning services!

Many thanks

Check out Andy Statman's albums, www.andystatman.org. His record, Songs of our Fathers, with David Grisman, might have something you can use.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Jeff Warschauer did a klezmer-oriented guitar and mandolin album, The Singing Waltz, and has also played with the Klezmer Conservatory Band. Additional info here. Might be a useful source for by-ear learning.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Just to clarify one thing. The OP and at least one person recently was looking for arrangements or sources of Jewish liturgical music. Klezmer, while influenced by that genre (and quite a few others) is Jewish music, but not usually part of a Jewish service. It is more of a joyous and secular music, although there is a bit of crossover. it is also very specific music from eastern Europe vs. other secular Jewish music like Sephardic. All good stuff but not what the OP was looking for.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: