Thread: Hope this never happens again

Default Hope this never happens again

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...iolin-on-train

I know how this feels.
    My daughter’s mandolin took a trip on the train, on it’s own.
    After a lot of anguish I said to her, ‘no problem I’m going to go out and buy exactly the same one again. The money will be forgotten’.

Terse reply. ‘I don’t want a ukulele that’s exactly the same, I want my ukulele back!’

I don’t know if any of you guys have had similar experiences?

Default Re: Hope this never happens again

What a shame. She must have had a real bond with her instrument. Was it a mandolin or a uke? I couldn't tell from your post.

I ride the train with my mandolin fairly frequently. I never put it in the rack. It sits upright between my knees. I take the window seat if I can get it, so it is in nobody's way. This way, even when I doze off, nobody can walk off with it.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Yo Yo Ma once left his Stradivari cello in the trunk of a taxicab. 1999 NY Times article.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    What a shame. She must have had a real bond with her instrument. Was it a mandolin or a uke? I couldn't tell from your post.

I ride the train with my mandolin fairly frequently. I never put it in the rack. It sits upright between my knees. I take the window seat if I can get it, so it is in nobody's way. This way, even when I doze off, nobody can walk off with it.
    It was a ukulele, I wrote the typo because I was wondering how I’d feel if it was a mandolin!
    -and we found it at lost property near St Pancras station, London, and of course the bond is now even stronger.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

===========

I once forgot my Rickenbacker double-neck guitar at a local dive bar . . . luckily, I realized my mistake after only being on the road for a few seconds - and when I ran back in, the guitar was exactly where I left it.

Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I once forgot my Rickenbacker double-neck guitar at a local dive bar . . . luckily, I realized my mistake after only being on the road for a few seconds - and when I ran back in, the guitar was exactly where I left it.

Whew!

Sounds like me, you start driving and then wonder what song you’re going to play, and then realize you cant.
    A couple of times I jammed with some friends, driving all the way down to LA.
    You can practice a lot of songs on an eight hour drive.

9. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

V70416 

I once accidentally left my banjo behind, in the back of a pickup truck. Quickly realizing my mistake, I returned to the pickup, but found out that I was too late! There were now two banjos in the back of the pickup.

Sorry, could not resist -- it's an old joke!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

I once "left" my wallet on a train in Tokyo. 'Went back the next day and on the rack above the seats there was a nice note from the fellow who found it telling me that it was safe, secure, and how to contact him.....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    I once "left" my wallet on a train in Tokyo. 'Went back the next day and on the rack above the seats there was a nice note from the fellow who found it telling me that it was safe, secure, and how to contact him.....
    Wow. Just wow. What an amazing person.

Blog Entries

You live. You learn. Your instrument is your responsibility. I left a nice 35mm camera in the back seat of an NYC cab. Called the cab company (dreaming) and “fagetaboutit” was the only response. And that was good advice from Rocco. It was my fault.

One advantage of a back pack carry case, is you don't have to set it down to do other things with your hands..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

===========

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    I knew a guy who was once a tour manager for a fairly big American rock band, consisting of young guys whom he affectionately refers to as a 'group of knuckleheads'. Apparently one time they were touring in Japan and had tens of thousands of dollars in cash - which they forgot in their hotel room when they left the country. After they returned to the states the tour manager called the hotel, and the money was safely waiting to be returned to them.

I left a Martin D12-35S brazilian outside my van at a parking lot for at least 4 hours in downtown Atlanta. It was still there when I got back.

Lost my billfold with at least $200 in it on the beach in Daytona. Several years later an older couple from Canada returned it to me at my house with the rotting money still in it.

Amazing.

Paying it forward is a good thing.

That Loudon Wainright III,Dead Skunk, song brought back some memories!

The bloke who lost the violin was interviewed on BBC TV this morning and admitted that he was the sort of person who would take it with him to the washroom.

Knowing the state of the UK rail services, I’m surprised that they can actually find the train!

Blog Entries

These things happen to humans. About 35+ years ago I noticed what looked like a wallet as I got past the entrance ramp on the Ronald Reagan Highway west in Cincinnati -- I somehow managed to get to the side of the roadway and since the traffic was light I was able to retrieve what was, sure enough a thick brown leather wallet, from the roadway. It had nearly $600 USD in bills plus about a thousand, it seemed anyway, cards and other stuff - -how it went in anyone's pants pocket I haven't a clue. Anyway I pulled farther off the roadway looked for identification -- which wasn't easy to find. I finally decided on what looked like it might be the owner and gave him a call on my cell phone -- which was a relatively new and cool thing in those days! A guy answered and I say hi are you mister so and so? He said yes who is calling -- I said I think I am a friend, do you have your wallet? Short pause then panicky and pained NO! I told him I had it and to meet me at entrance of my work place (it was a security lot so he would not be able to get in). By the time I got there he was there -- big time. Pretty happy and thankful to get it back. He had done what I thought he had -- put it on the top of his vehicle while he did something else and then took off with it taking a ride on the top of the truck. He offered a reward but I thought that would ruin the "good deed" aspect of it and I declined.

A few years later I set my briefcase with some pretty important work papers and a US Government laptop in it at the airport while I haggled to find a flight to replace the one that had been cancelled at Newark airport. It was a high stress discussion and I walked off upset with my billfold, and winter coat and forgot about my brief case. About 10 minutes later I was told via the PA to report back to Northwest Airlines desk. There was a man holding my brief case -- he was Chinese or Korean I think -- did not speak much English but he had made sure that I got my brief case back! I offered him a reward but he would not take it. Karma!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I left a mandolin at the Airtrain station heading from JFK airport to Queens. I had to run back - it was still there thankfully
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

In '70 or so, several of us needed to rummage thru ancient filing cabinets at my downtown NYC job. Being the weekend, "way-less-than-business" attire was the rule, including my semi-tattered jeans. But when I got off the subway needing coffee ... no wallet - the bottom of my back pocket had opened up! Only $50 or so, but the other stuff would be a major pain to replace, and it was. But several weeks later it showed up in the mail sans cash, and I rememberd the other stuff that was in there, the photos, phone #s, etc. Thank you!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

since the advent of baggage bombs, left-behind instrument cases are more likely to be blown up by means of a robot than to be stolen.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    since the advent of baggage bombs, left-behind instrument cases are more likely to be blown up by means of a robot than to be stolen.
    Yep. Strange new world we live in nowadays.

Very, very sad. Much of the spontaneous fun and unanticipated interaction with interesting strangers has been sucked right out of train or air travel. Still, I find that carrying an instrument case is an icebreaker and a door to small interactive adventures. We still have that and I value it.

How strange! I misread your post as “since the advent of bagpipe bombs.” I was going to do a search of a terrorist playing a bagpipe. Sorry!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Violinist Gidon Kremer once left his multi-million-dollar Guarneri del Gesu on an Amtrak. I believe his explanation was that he was putting markings in his music and dropped his pencil as the train pulled into the station. Every musician knows you guard a good pencil with your very life, and in his concern for retrieving the pencil he exited the train without the fiddle (but with the pencil).

The concert promoter called Amtrak, sped to the next station, and picked up the del Gesu.

Didn't Pete Seeger have an incident with his banjo?

About 10 years ago I hitch-hiked through Jackson, WY on my way to volunteer with a buffalo advocacy group headquartered near Yellowstone. Had my Kentucky KM180S with me, my first mandolin. I stopped by a farmers market booth in Jackson to buy some peaches and walked right away from my case after I'd paid (I must have been seriously sleep-deprived or something). I didn't realize it until about 10 minutes later, and thankfully it was still sitting right there.

Since then I've learned to keep a little card with my contact information including e-mail address in each of my instrument cases, and my wallet. I lost my wallet AND passport one day in Patzcuaro, Mexico a few years back. This was the day before I was to fly back home after being there for about three weeks. Being the furthest thing from a fluent Spanish-speaker, I was prepared for an absolute nightmare in trying to resolve that situation. Miraculously I got an e-mail later that day from a family who had found both on the ground near the town square, and they met me there to return it. They wouldn't accept a reward. I'll be paying it forward on that one for the rest of my days...
    *¯`•.☽☆☾¸.•´¯*

30. The following members say thank you to jaybp30 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post
    Great news! I'm happy to hear that high-dollar fiddle is back in the hands of its rightful owner/caretaker.
    For a time, I wondered if the whole thing was a hoax.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb