Thread: String height on a mando with fingerboard extension?

Default String height on a mando with fingerboard extension?

Do any of you fine folks set your string height higher on your mando that has a fingerboard extension? Just picked up a Loar lm520 blem and the action is a little high for me. The saddle is bottomed out and i am at .080 on the G string at the 12th fret while fretting the first. I usually prefer .050.Dont know if i can sand enough off the bottom of the saddle to lower that much . Any thoughts? Thanks, Scott
    Kentucky KM-150s
    Eastman MD315F
    The Loar LM520vs

2. The following members say thank you to Sayer for this post:

Default Re: String height on a mando with fingerboard extension?

No, I like a low action on any mandolin and that includes one with a fingerboard extension. While you may want to fit the bottom of the bridge to the top, you won't take enough off to lower the action, nor would I try. I would take the posts out and remove wood from the top after it is fit, and put the posts back in.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks Pops- I was leaning toward that approach- kinda aggravating - this Mando was supposed to have been set up by the dealer. Think I will try that- good practice. Didnt think I could take enough off the bottom of the saddle without weaking it.Playable as is but a I like a lowwr height as well. Thanks
    Kentucky KM-150s
    Eastman MD315F
    The Loar LM520vs

I would find .080 pretty uncomfortable. A US penny is ~.060 so I use that under the 12th fret to get close to where I like. Fingerboard extension or not the action should be able to be set as you indicate. How is the neck relief? You just want a teeny bit (if any - there's lots of posts on this subject). Though you don't necessarily want to think of setting action in this way if there's too much relief you could bottom out the bridge if the tolerances are tight. This happened on one of my mandolins and once relief was adjusted I had room to adjust the bridge again.
    current joys:
    Gibson F-5G | Northfield A5 Special | Kentucky KM-150 | Mid-Mo M-70 Octave | Martin HD-28V | Gold Tone BC-350 | 5-string Mandoblaster | Les Paul | Strat | Piano | Bongos | Tacoma Thunderchief | old Dobro | Some amps & microphones

It has a tiny amount of neck relief-looks good to me - almost but not quite flat. I havnt changed anything since i got it_I think I will try as Pops1 suggest. Otherwise really happy with the Mando.
    Kentucky KM-150s
    Eastman MD315F
    The Loar LM520vs

7. The following members say thank you to Sayer for this post:

For neck relief if you have any I like it to be so you can hear the string hit the fret if you try to tap it at the middle of the neck, but you really can't see any space.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hey Pops1, took your advice and sanded down the top of the bridge base about .070 , shortened the threaded pins a bit. worked out great- got my string height between .050 and .060 at the 12th fret- THANKS for the good advice everyone
    Kentucky KM-150s
    Eastman MD315F
    The Loar LM520vs