Thread: Wanting to try a cittern (esp. Nordwall) in California/West Coast

Default Wanting to try a cittern (esp. Nordwall) in California/West Coast

I've been admiring the work of Sweden's Esbjörn Hazelius for a long time, and recently learned his cittern is made by Mats Nordwall. I love the sound!

I have a distinctive, 23.5" Irish bouzouki/OM thing from Stan Pope, and I feel pretty confident I'd enjoy playing a Nordwall cittern. And it sounds like he builds them a little lighter by using nylon bass strings, which is encouraging, because my fingers don't like the heavy strings of a regular mandocello. In any case, it's a lot of money to drop on a guess. Visiting Mats Nordwall's shop in Sweden looks like it would be about the same cost as just buying the instrument. Not super practical, much as I want to visit Sweden.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area; does anyone around here (or in the Western Continental US?) have a Nordwall instrument I could visit and play briefly? I'd also be curious about other citterns, e.g. by Crump or others. I can bring some of your beverage of choice, especially if I'm only driving.

Default Re: Wanting to try a cittern (esp. Nordwall) in California/West C

I have a Nordwall Cittern and am based in Los Angeles. It's an amazing instrument.

Sent you a PM to get in touch!

Hi Patrick,
    I remember the thread about Nordwall building your cittern and I have wondered how that worked out. Pretty well, by the sound of it.
    How do you tune it?

Dagger
    David A. Gordon

Tuning is CFCGCD low to high, with octaves on the lower courses.

I had to have it repaired a little bit, the bridge developed a humidity crack after a particularly hot day in a car (my fault), but now it's back to good as new!

It really shines once you capo up about 4 frets and up. Remarkably consistent voice up the neck due to the lattice bracing.

I'm working on a video this week to show a little of what it can do :D

A little video featuring my Nordwall Cittern :D

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Gunning For This Useful Post: