Thread: DR MD-11 mandolin strings

Default DR MD-11 mandolin strings

I bought a few sets of these strings now and they are amazing. They give my Weber fern more volume and they last longer. Very bright string also. Just my opinion but they are my new string now. I also have been using the 11’s DR strings on my Goodall standard. Amazing volume!!!! All the inking string shops have them. Nick

Default Re: DR MD-11 mandolin strings

Quote Originally Posted by ntriesch View Post
    I bought a few sets of these strings now and they are amazing. They give my Weber fern more volume and they last longer. Very bright string also. Just my opinion but they are my new string now. I also have been using the 11’s DR strings on my Goodall standard. Amazing volume!!!! All the inking string shops have them. Nick
    Well Nick, by the tone of your post (to me anyway), it sounds like this is a recent, happy discovery for you... the whole DR thing. So I thought maybe you'd be interested to know that the DR MD-11s have been discussed in these pages quite a few times already. Figured I'd do you a little favor and link some of those posts.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-string-review

That's one of the discussions from five years ago. Obviously this whole DR thing is something you're already pretty familiar with. That is you isn't it?

Anyway, whatever your motivation for raising the DR string discussion again, I agree, they are good sounding, powerful and long lasting strings. Problem for me has been that I got quite a few sets with at least one faulty string per set. Usually one of the D strings. Don't know why or how this could happen but it does. One string that just cannot be tuned. No matter how perfectly it is tuned open, it goes way off as you go up the neck. Replace that one string and everything is good again.

After the third or fourth set like that, I gave up and went back to good old dependable J-74s.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

3. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Sorry, I have been away from the cafe for years. Anyway, the strings work for me. Maybe I’m out of tune!!

5. The following members say thank you to ntriesch for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I have been away from the cafe for years. Anyway, the strings work for me. Maybe I’m out of tune!!
    I see no reason for apology and no problem with rehashing a previously covered topic pulled from the archives. This happens repeatedly with strings and picks at nauseam for some or sparks memory for others. i.e. I have a new Stiver on order and find it difficult to contain my eagerness to receive it in the spring of 2020. In my excitement I have already a new strap, arm rest, and Tomasik strings on order for a mandolin that I will not have for 6 or 7 months. I have never tried Tomasik strings on any mandolin. I know they have been discussed here many times which I have tried to research. But, I have not learned all that I am curious about Tomasik strings. I may wake one morning and post with the hope of someone weighing in on having used them on a Stiver, expressing their feelings on volume, lack of suitability for particular genres of music, or whatever they may have to offer.
    We as readers are given the choice of reading or passing up any new post that that does or does not grab us. Your post on DR strings, in fact did spark my memory on DR strings which I never before thought to try but will now get a set to try.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

7. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Glad you found a brand you like and that's all that matters. I've never tried a DR mandolin string altho I most always used DR's on my Tele, Pure Blues 10's and replaced with 11 & 13 on E & B strings. Different people like different feel and tone and can express likes and dislikes in words, instrument have likes and dislikes and express in the tone sound and feel. I'm well satisfied with D'Addario and Mangans for mando. I tried Thomastik's on my archtop once and meh, just not the tone or feel I was looking for. But that's just me, I don't care for flatwounds or coated strings. Anyway glad you found a brand that pleases you and glad you weren't "blown away" that'd be terrible

When I had an Eastman, the DR11s were the best strings for that mandolin. Really made it come alive. They don’t work well at all on my Collings though.

so many strings, so little time! The DR strings have a clarity and loudness that I like. I play guitar like many of us I I changed over to DR 11’s. Not to light, not to heavy . A friend who has a beautiful 00028 Martin told me about the 11’s. Amazing. Sound great, play easy.

Changing strings often and talking about it just isn't part of the hobby that I'm interested in, for some reason. Having played since the mid 60's and worked for various music stores, I know many people do like that part of the hobby. For the most part, strings sound like strings. I've been using Ernie Ball Slinkys since they came out and once in while I'll use something else when I'm out and can't hear much difference. The store I work at pushes DR's and everything I work on is strung with DR's unless the customer specifies otherwise. They seem fine, but nothing life changing, IMHO.

Sure, flatwounds sound different than roundwounds and I prefer phorphor bronze to 80/20 bronze and coated strings sound different than uncoated, but as far as brands, etc...........not so sure.....leaning toward not and that is being kind.....

I will say some of the super super cheapo imports do come with some amazingly bad sounding strings (I assume also imported) and changing them will improve the instrument 1000 percent, but on a $59 Walmart guitar that isn't saying much.....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I used these strings a long time ago but can't remember why I went to other strings ! I think I will have to get another set and try again ! After experimenting I seem to always go back to GHS 270's ! But, I do agree with Jeff Mando above that "I" can't really hear much difference from different strings.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I used these strings a long time ago but can't remember why I went to other strings ! I think I will have to get another set and try again ! After experimenting I seem to always go back to GHS 270's ! But, I do agree with Jeff Mando above that "I" can't really hear much difference from different strings.
    That's what I've been doing for some 30 years. I try the newest thing out there and then go back to the GHS 270. I have not tried the DR11 but if they are coated, I"m not interested.

They are not coated. Just made different. Made my Weber fern come more alive. Over the years I don’t try a ton of strings. Mostly J74’s. But I tried the DR strings and I like them better. Just me I guess.