Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GHS A270 or D'Addario J74

Default GHS A270 or D'Addario J74

Anyone ever compare J74's to A270's for sound? I use 74's on my Eastman 805D, but I just bought a new Weber Butterroot Special Edition that comes with A270's. I have 74's on hand and will probably put 74's on the Weber when I change strings. Any opinions?

Oldpicker in Benicia, CA

Default Re: GHS A270 or D'Addario J74

Flip a coin , bronze wound and near identical gages on both.
    A270 - 11,16,26,40 , 74's 11,15,26,40,
    so the A string gage is a thousandth of an inch different
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Very similar strings. Nothing to sweat over.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I have used A-270`s on all of my mandolins for years and about three years ago I tried a set of J-74`s and it might be in my mind but that 1000th of an inch on the A string did seem to make a difference to me...I know some times we don`t really want to change things so we hear things that aren`t really there...I suggest you go ahead and try both and see if you hear any difference, thats the best way to go, I believe, you are the one that has to be satisfied.....Willie

I have to agree with Willie. I have a new Weber custom Yellowstone, it came with the GHS strings and I tried the Bush Monels (didn't like them), tried the J74's (same thing). I will be going back to the GHS's. I find them to sound just a little sweeter on my particular mando.

Unregistered User...?
    Blog Entries

They are almost identical, but I like the .016 A string better, so I usually go with GHS.
    Eastman Custom 515
    Washburn D20

Thanks a lot guys for the response to my post. I think I'll make a decision after I get about 50 hours on the Weber. The Weber web-site suggests 50 hours break in time. At present I'm using my Eastman 805D with a Baggs Radius pickup for gigs. When I switch to my Weber I plan on using an instrument mic into my Marshall ASD50 amp. Mandomonium how many hours do you think your Custom Yellowstone before you thought it was pretty well settled in?

Oldpicker

Another fan of the GHS, been using them for years. the Silk and Bronze are also great strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I like/use one gauge lighter (med/lights), so I can compare the D'Addario J73s (10-14-24w-38w) & the GHS A260 Bobby Osbornes (11-16-24W-38W). Both are really nice strings. I'd also give a very slight nod to the GHS strings. I think they don't sound as harsh when first put on, they last a little longer, and you get a little more punch and volume on the A & E strings.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Each mando is unique, I think, so the best bet is simply to experiment to see what strings feel and sound the best to you. It is amazing how different strings, just like a different pick, can color the tone you get from a particular instrument.

When I sent my Goldrush to Big Joe's for a refret/setup, it came back with J74's. I loved the sound and played them for a few months. I've tried SB's, JazzMando's and the GHS's, but at least on my mandolin, the J74's just sound the best to me. Of course, YMMV.

Cheers.
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

Well I have changed over from J74s to GHS A270s on my Pava mandolin. I was b it skeptical at first as to whether if it would make any difference. When I first put them on, I thought that there was little difference. However, when I woke up in the morning I could not believe the change in tone - much more rounded with the same if not more volume - perhaps slightly less projection.

Oh well, I am a convert even if I was skeptical at first.
    Nic Gellie

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

GHS A270s have not left my mandolin for a year. I've tried DRs Pearse, D'add J74s and the CThile coated set.

But A270s do it for me. Perfect blend of tone & gauges.

That's just me, but I love the apparently finer winding too.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Pavas and Ellis mandolins are set up for the A270 GHS strings. I'm going to go back to them on my F5 Special after I go through a couple of other sets I have on hand. But Tom E. believes in them and thinks his mandolins sound best with them. Hard to argue with the man

Have you Weber guys tried the John Pearse Bronze Heavy gauge ? I have a 2007 Bitterroot and sent it in for a set up it came back a different animal. J74 were the strings it had on when it left and the only type I ever played on it. A few things were done at the shop so I'm not sure what changed the sound the most. I had a new bridge put on (it had the old style Weber bridge) along with a new nut (the nut had a strange string spacing on it). Anyway when it left I loved the tone and volume but now I really really love it. It's louder more sustain, the notes seem more defined and the tone went from warm and friendly to Kick ass sweetness ! When the John Pearse wear out I'll try the J74's again to compare but right now I'm a fan of the JP strings E-.012, A -.015, D -.026, G -.040

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    Pavas and Ellis mandolins are set up for the A270 GHS strings. I'm going to go back to them on my F5 Special after I go through a couple of other sets I have on hand. But Tom E. believes in them and thinks his mandolins sound best with them. Hard to argue with the man
    I'm with you man ! Only strings I use on my Ellis A and Ellis F5

16. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Each player / instrument team has a string that sounds / plays / lasts / is fiscally best, for them..... enjoy the search. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have done the string search for my Yellowstone for the past six years and I have tried them all D'Addario, MD, Martin, Gibson, you name I always come back to the A270's. Now I was one of the lucky ones to get a set of the D'Addario beta strings and I have to say I am very impressed with them, they are not quite as bass heavy as the GHS's. When these need to be changed I will go back to the GHS strings, but when the Beta strings come to the market I will have to make a decision at that time as to which ones to use. Both of them sound great.

Blog Entries

I have used both extensively, and to my ear the D'Addario J74 have a slight edge.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've switched to Curt Mangan strings after trying lots of different brands.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

21. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loubrava View Post
    Have you Weber guys tried the John Pearse Bronze Heavy gauge ? I have a 2007 Bitterroot and sent it in for a set up it came back a different animal. J74 were the strings it had on when it left and the only type I ever played on it. A few things were done at the shop so I'm not sure what changed the sound the most. I had a new bridge put on (it had the old style Weber bridge) along with a new nut (the nut had a strange string spacing on it). Anyway when it left I loved the tone and volume but now I really really love it. It's louder more sustain, the notes seem more defined and the tone went from warm and friendly to Kick ass sweetness ! When the John Pearse wear out I'll try the J74's again to compare but right now I'm a fan of the JP strings E-.012, A -.015, D -.026, G -.040
    not a weber guy, but I loved the sound of pearse's on my old davidson A4. However, the flipping things would break way too quickly live, so had to stop using them. I'd be tempted in the studio though. Depending on the mandolin.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I buy j75's and a couple 0.40's to replace the 0.41's. Gives me .115,.16,.26,.40. The .12 on the John Pearse sounds interesting but the A is only .15.

I've tried a lot of different strings, the top three are GHS A 270, J74's, & the Flat Tops FW74's. The A 270's are my favorite. I usually replace the .011 with .0115. I get GHS .0115's from Just Strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Same here.

I used J74's on a 2012 Stanley A5 for years and also a 1925 Gibson A, and thought they were great. I bought the medium GHS when the great C'ville Music went out of business and tried them on the Stanley a year later. On this mandolin this string has better tone depth and lasts much longer than the J74's. (the snakehead was neglected with the Stanley's arrival and found another home)

Chris likes the GHS silk and bronze on his mandolins, which is an equally great, but different string. I was surprised to rate the GHS as high as the medium DR's (my other favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Tried Curt Mangan and switched back to Gibsons (BM-set).