Thread: Larson-Symphony Harp Mandola

Default Larson-Symphony Harp Mandola

I'm not sure of the price but it looks interesting. I am assuming it is by the Larson Bros.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYMPHONY-HA...0AAOSwfwxdk3Ki

Edit: I see this was posted earlier so it might be sensible to remove my duplicate post.
    Last edited by NickR; Oct-25-2019 at 7:17am.

Default Re: Larson-Symphony Harp Mandola

Bernunzio's got a Dyer, also attributed to the Larsons, in stock for $4.5K. It needs a fair amount of work.

When I bought my Larson-attributed Stahl mandola at John B's, I was sorely tempted by the Dyer, but said "Get thee behind me!" I think the Dyer could be put into quite decent playing condition for significantly less than the one on eBay is listed for.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I would imagine these instruments are for the initiated- and those with a fair bit of cash, too! I find the normal configuration challenging enough! However, they do look spectacular and owning one would be a great. I bought a very nice OS Hilo Hawaiian guitar at auction and I now feel that I deprived someone else who would play it the opportunity to make it sing. My playing of this type of instrument is basic at best- mainly because I am a plectrum player. Mind you, I don't suppose collectors feel that about their stash of instruments!

Sans the "Larson" attribution, they wouldn't command those prices, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

It’s cool, but, I don’t know about if it’s THAT cool.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

6. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

There is no absolute guarantee that it is a Larson made instrument. I don't see that little line of the fretboard below the binding that the Larsons commonly did and no one else seemed to do. I'm looking on my phone so maybe someone can see better.

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    There is no absolute guarantee that it is a Larson made instrument. I don't see that little line of the fretboard below the binding that the Larsons commonly did and no one else seemed to do. I'm looking on my phone so maybe someone can see better.
    You can barely see it on my computer but it could possibly be there. OTOH I am not sure that anyone but the Larsons make these oddball harp instruments besides Knutsen. However, don't quote me on this.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1