Thread: Tip: Replacing Book Bindings with Spiral Bindings

Default Tip: Replacing Book Bindings with Spiral Bindings

Maybe this is common knowledge but...

I had an old Fiddler's Fakebook with a plastic spiral binding that was falling apart. Someone told me they had theirs replaced at Kinkos/Fedex so I took it there and they replaced it with a metal one for $9. After cutting off the old punch holes and putting in the new binding, it just fits within the margins and doesn't cut off the music. Looks brand new again.

I was lamenting that I have another Fakebook with a book binding that won't stay open on a table and falls off the music stand. You can't even find a Fakebook with a spiral binding now - they're all book (checked Amazon and eBay).

The employee told me they can replace those soft book bindings too. So I brought in three books and had those replaced today - $20 total. Plenty of margin room. See photos.

Now I'm more likely to actually use these books that were kind of gathering dust because they were annoying to use...I don't understand book bindings for a music book but that seems to be what they sell these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8986.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	830.1 KB 
ID:	180753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8985.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	952.9 KB 
ID:	180754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8982.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	904.5 KB 
ID:	180755  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8981.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	904.6 KB 
ID:	180756  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandokismet For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tip: Replacing Book Bindings with Spiral Bindings

I use Office Depot, which also does a good job. Only problem is that I can't read the title on the spine anymore. It sure is nice to be able to open them to a page and put it on a music stand.

Name:	IMG_0364.JPG 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	180757
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I love this thing, it's built like a tank! (done 100's of books)

Name:	book_binding_machine_1567521165_3af95919_progressive.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	180763

I have found the equipment to punch and install both spiral and GBC type bindings at local thrift stores. I often make or down load pdf file of music I want to bind. My local library offers 70 pages of free laser printing per week. Color printing is also available. I do most of my printing for binding purposes there.

Been doing this for years - Buy used from amazon then take it to the office store to make spiral. Then put it on a shelf and forget it's there!

7. The following members say thank you to ukenukem for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ukenukem View Post
    Been doing this for years - Buy used from amazon then take it to the office store to make spiral. Then put it on a shelf and forget it's there!
    Yup. Then you buy another copy. I do have some inadvertent duplicates.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

Ha! Good timing. Had been thinking of doing that to a couple of recently acquired tune books. Had done it a few years ago on some other books, but forgotten about it until recently.

Yes, it can be tough remembering which book is which. Especially with 3 or more of approximately the same size sitting next to each other. They just sit on a music stand so much better, it's worth the hassle.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I use Office Depot, which also does a good job. Only problem is that I can't read the title on the spine anymore. It sure is nice to be able to open them to a page and put it on a music stand.

I've used Staples and Copy Cats ( a local shop).

Great idea....
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post

Some creative solutions to the shelf ID problem can be found here.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

13. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Blog Entries

thanks, bratsche. love the duct tape idea. quaaaaack! gonna give it a tryout.

This is a great idea. I have a Beatles Chord book that never stays open. Are there size/thickness limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    This is a great idea. I have a Beatles Chord book that never stays open. Are there size/thickness limits?
    Kevin, if it's this one it's no problem, Kinkos or Office Depot can bind it. It's a great book but with a common complaint about it not staying open.

Rob

Name:	Beatles book shot.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	181183

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    There is a great Irish tune book from a session in Kingston, Canada. I think it is over 500 pages in total. I think the limit to spiral/coil binding might be ~250 pages so I had to split it into two books. Ask at the place that will do the work. The limit might be the size of the manufactured coils they have available.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by robw95 View Post
    Kevin, if it's this one it's no problem, Kinkos or Office Depot can bind it. It's a great book but with a common complaint about it not staying open.

Rob

Name:	Beatles book shot.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	181183
    That's the one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    There is a great Irish tune book from a session in Kingston, Canada. I think it is over 500 pages in total. I think the limit to spiral/coil binding might be ~250 pages so I had to split it into two books. Ask at the place that will do the work. The limit might be the size of the manufactured coils they have available.

I love that book and make great use of it both on mandolin and fiddle. I printed it double-sided, so it's only about 250 sheets of paper and there are coils which can handle that capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
    I love that book and make great use of it both on mandolin and fiddle. I printed it double-sided, so it's only about 250 sheets of paper and there are coils which can handle that capacity.
    I also printed it double-sided but Staples or Kinko's said it was too large for one book. I guess there are coils that will handle larger books but maybe whoever did it for me did not deal with those.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Just a note, I cut my own books rather than have the binding folks do that. I’ve had them ruin books by cutting into the print making the books unusable. I just cut them in half repeatedly until I’m done. Many Abersold books have been done this way��

Paper shears are available from many sources.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

I have a Dover publication of the Complete String Quartets of Beethoven. The thing is about an inch thick. I had a spiral binding put on, and it works fine. Its really great how much more I pull the books with spiral bindings.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....