Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kentucky KM-1050 vs Northfield F5S

Default Re: Kentucky KM-1050 vs Northfield F5S

That's one fine mandolin. Congratulations.

You did good. I hesitated to state such adviser though I was thinking it. A Big Mon is eye and ear candy of the highest order. You will enjoy it for years.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Congrats! Northfield make great instruments!

I've owned and played a handful of both brands. Different sounds and vibes but both excellent choices. That'll give you lots of instrument to grow with.
    current joys:
    Gibson F-5G | Northfield A5 Special | Kentucky KM-150 | Mid-Mo M-70 Octave | Martin HD-28V | Gold Tone BC-350 | 5-string Mandoblaster | Les Paul | Strat | Piano | Bongos | Tacoma Thunderchief | old Dobro | Some amps & microphones

I own a KM 1050 and I like it a lot. I am not an advanced player because I play guitar but I wanted to learn mandolin. Started with a Loar and decided to just get a really good mid level mandolin. I like the radius fretboard and larger frets a lot. I recently played a 1500 and some collings and they were hard to play because I assume Im used to the radius and frets. I am happy with the sound and feel. It did take a while for me to really like this mandolin though. I had it setup and frets polished and it made all the difference. People who have seen it really like it. I think it sounds a lot like a gibson, I was going for the nickel creek sound and it does a good job. Sure Id like to have a Gibson F5 but until I play more, this is what I am sticking with.

There is a 1000, 1050, 1500. The 1050 is different than the other 2 so be sure you are looking at the right model.

Side note...

Im confused. I know my 1050 has a radius board and larger frets but does it have a wider string spacing? The Kentucky site says 1 1/8 but I have found dealers that state its 1 3/16". Mine feels wider than other mandolins I played but Im not sure if its the neck size/shape or radius that makes it seem that way.

http://homesteadpickinparlor.com/kentucky-km-1050/

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSky View Post
    I'm in the market for a mandolin, and I want something that will last me a long time and give me a good sound. My budget is right around $3000, which means I'll be getting something made in the Pacific Rim.
    Only because this is your choice. There are several US builders who can build a great A or F style for this budget. Two I've personally got great sounding, great looking, professional quality all carved handmade custom built instruments from are Howard "Sonny" Morris and Tom "TJ" Jessen.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Gunnar 

I would definitely take a Northfield over a Kentucky but in the same price range of the Northfield I would definitely take a Girouard over a Northfield ! No comparison in my mind !