Thread: Big Muddy bridge

Default Big Muddy bridge

I recently bought a lovely Big Muddy mandolin. It came with 3 non-adjustable bridges. Can I swap out an adjustable bridge? I get a lot of buzzing even with the higher bridge. (I am careful about not letting the wood get too dry, and have a couple of sponges in perforated plastic bags in the case during the cold months, so I don't think this is the issue). Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Big Muddy bridge

I have one of those that also had some buzz. It had a few high frets. Check hat if you haven’t already. It took me a few tries to level them. Also, I made one of the 11 hole bridges from Red Murphy (murpheymethod.com), and the instrument has incredible volume and tone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramparte View Post
    I have one of those that also had some buzz. It had a few high frets. Check hat if you haven’t already. It took me a few tries to level them. Also, I made one of the 11 hole bridges from Red Murphy (murpheymethod.com), and the instrument has incredible volume and tone now.
    Thanks very much! I don't have any skill in woodworking; it is a shame he doesn't sell them. What did you use to file down your frets? I'm not sure if this is the problem, but worth checking.

You may just want to contact Mike Dulak at Big Muddy. He’s very helpful and can probably walk you through a solution.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a brand new Big Muddy MW-0. Wonderful little instrument. It's pretty quiet compared to my Collings, but it's perfect for solo fiddle tune playing. The action is nice and low. I did some playing up the neck, and I did find a couple of buzz spots at fret 10 and 11 on the G string. I don't want to raise the action - when it's played in a bit and needs new strings I will likely have a bit of fret leveling done.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I just found an inexpensive fret dressing kit. There’s a specific kind of file they use, plus a very straight bit of metal you use to rock against adjacent frets to see how level they are.

That’s great—where did you get it?