Thread: a link

Default a link

https://artworksrva.com/blog/events/dan-thompson/

I know there's no mandos involved, but since my stroke in '06, which damaged my left hand, hince no more picking, my fall back has been my art back ground, and this link is to my first solo show.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dtb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: a link

Very nice, Dan. I like the playfulness, the vibrant colors and the high energy. I can almost "see" the music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Very nice, Dan. I like the playfulness, the vibrant colors and the high energy. I can almost "see" the music.
    And Jim, thanks, that's maybe the most often comment I get on my art work.
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

5. The following members say thank you to dtb for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice pieces. It's great you still have an expressive outlet.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

https://youtu.be/rSwYFXM-UXY here's another link to a slide show my wife put together of hanging the show.

Thanks guys for the kind comments.
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

Hey these are great Dan, thanks.
    I was wondering about the different styles of music (mainly Bluegrass?) that you played and if you read mainly notation or tab?
    And is there a painting in the vid that you feel is the most representative of the music played in the vid?
    -sorry if I’m too ‘words’, just trying to understand the sort of graphic vocabulary.
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    Hey these are great Dan, thanks.
    I was wondering about the different styles of music (mainly Bluegrass?) that you played and if you read mainly notation or tab?
    And is there a painting in the vid that you feel is the most representative of the music played in the vid?" progession
    -sorry if I’m too ‘words’, just trying to understand the sort of graphic vocabulary.
    Well done!
    Wel, it was the "normal " progression, guitar highschool garage bands electric, college studied art education, got high, went to acoustic in the folk boom, translated over to blue grass after college, left my art behind forming a bluegrass band playing local 2/3 county gigs events, etc. for 20 years, translating into home recording until band and gigging got to be too much for everyone raising families, etc., working, but continuing to jam every week as a family affair type thing for many years, then the stroke in'06 and my picking mostly stopped, family got me back into my art, and like most things in my life I got into full throttle. Downsize move to Richmond , Va. a very big art city, and here I be. thanks for the interest.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

10. The following members say thank you to dtb for this post:

The show went well, lotsa fun. Sold 2 pcs.
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

Thanks for posting this, Dan. You never know who among us might suffer and be unable to play. This must be psychologically devastating. Your thread here might help one of us, one day, to realize that we can channel our musical expression into another artistic endeavor. Very inspiring. Much appreciated.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I call it the fence. And it enters my life on occasions, normally triggered by some event. Examples: The night we, my wife and I hung the art show, we decided to go out for food and drink (we have a rewards card for one of our fav. rest). And as we were finishing up we noticed some folks gathering on the patio. And low and behold a bluegrass jam was forming and we decided to stay while. There were like 15/20 pickers jamming all the same tunes we used to do at our home in southside Va. before my stroke and it was on the same night also. So I'm on the struggle now on whether I should go thru the whole deal of trying to rehab this left hand and try playing again or just keep going on this new journey in art. A very important con on the music thing, is all the temptations of life style would reenter my life, and any one who has gone through addictions and survived, know that struggle. In my case it was alcohol and nicotine, and pot. That struggle was very real and so far is not an issue now after 2/3 years. Plus the frustations that come with rehab, and I'm just not sure I want to go that way again, as I'm very comfortable now with family, life, and a pro for the art side, is that I've been able to make more money fom it than In all of like 25 years of music. lol.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

Simple, bold, balanced. That's bluegrass to me.