Thread: Audition coming up! Help!!

Default Audition coming up! Help!!

Hello everyone!

I have a college audition coming up for the classical guitar program at Chapman University. I need two pieces from different eras (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, etc.) and I have been practicing two Baroque pieces! Can anyone suggest a solo mandolin piece from any other era that I could find the sheet music to?

The Baroque piece I am going to stick with is Bach's Sonata No. 2 in A minor, Andante, so maybe something on the faster side?

Thank you!

Default Re: Audition coming up! Help!!

Calace's Perpetuo Moto is fast and fun.

It's in G – there are lots of reusable licks in there as well.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Default Re: Audition coming up! Help!!

Should it be specifically a solo? What kind of difficulty are you willing to tackle? Will the guitar-program faculty take a mandolin solo seriously? Early Classical (but perhaps a little too close to Bach's late baroque), I really like the very idiomatic sets of variations by Denis and especially by Leone. I really like Calace's unaccompanied preludes. I really like Neil Gladd's unaccompanied sonatas and partita (very modern). Pettine did some nice things. Siegel did some showy things (albeit with a rather dated sound). There's a heap more out there in misc. compilation publications from the late-Romantic era. This is lso worthy of the investment of any classical mandolinist: http://www.neilgladd.com/Publications/NGP%201002.html. Come to think of it, anything listed here is: http://www.neilgladd.com/Publications/.