Thread: Kay Mandolin L 8290

Question Kay Mandolin L 8290

Hello Does anyone have any information on this particular Mandolin - Kay Mandolin L8290? Its year... value... etc. Thank you!

Default Re: Kay Mandolin L 8290

The number you detail is not relevant- we need a series of photos- the number you have seen is probably a batch number, I don't think anybody really knows their meaning. Arguably, the nicest Kay mandolin is the Kay 72/74. Here is a Kay 74 on Reverb- it sold for less on ebay. The seller shows part of the catalogue and you can see a Kay 70, as well.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/12615940-...birdseye-maple

Just to reiterate what Nick said, that number is a batch number and Kay reused those numbers. I'm sure if you've Googled Kay L8290 you've already found a message where someone has that number on a guitar.

Pictures of the front and back are pretty much the only way to tell you what you have. There were Kay mandolins built in the US and there were Kay branded mandolins built in Asia and imported. If you want to identify it we need to see it. The good news is that they are rarely expensive. The bad news is much of the time the neck joint has failed. Post some pictures.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Also show the tuner units as if they are original, it will help date the mandolin.

Kay introduced a pear-shaped mandolin in 1939 and this was made until the firm went out of business and included an electric version. It was also made in the far east and some were sold under a revived Kay brand although there are countless other brands. These have f holes. The Kay Venetian-shaped mandolins began in the 1930s like that Kay 74 on Reverb and also continued in production more or less to the end of the firm. An electric version was made that was also made in Japan and and sold after Kay had folded. There Venetian mandolins had f holes but in the 1930s some were made with oval sound holes, and again for the odd third party retailer in the early 1940s.

However, despite the two distinct shapes, Kay mandolins were made at a number of price points- using basic materials and finishes but also using good materials and finish. On that basis there were entry level instruments, some a bit above that level and some that Kay felt were at the "professional" level. I do have a Kay 72 and it sounds pretty good and nicely made and finished. It appears to have had neck surgery and it may need some more but it is playable now, it just could be improved.
    Last edited by NickR; Oct-22-2019 at 6:59am.

Thank you! Here it is... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_180814.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	180721
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_180824.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	180720  

Default Kay Mandolin

Hello Does anyone have any information on this particular Mandolin - Kay Mandolin L8290? Its year... where it was made... its value... etc. Thank you! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_180814.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	180722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_180824.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	180723

Default Re: Kay Mandolin

Probably the mid to late 60's. Do a happy dance if you can get anything near $100.00 for it. They are pretty common and that's not a high end model.

These are the sold listings for Kay mandolins on eBay. Anything with a line through it sold for less. There are a few very similar instruments in this list as of today.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I merged your two threads. You only need one.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

It is in this Kay catalogue from 1966 although I would reckon yours might be a year or two older- no K logo on the pickguard and the pointed headstock which in 1966 was curved. It is from a time when Kay went from US made Kluson tuners to Japanese items for most of their instruments. It is called the Kay 464 "Value Special" and it
    sold for $40. It is on page 28 of 32: http://www.kayvintagereissue.com/pdf/1966catalog.pdf

There was a discussion of one of these mandolins here a while back- much focused on the non adjustable bridge- which is original and was a way of keeping the price down- like the painted binding.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...y-Kay-Mandolin

I searched "Kay mandolin 1960s photo" and saw a fair few of these being offered at various prices. Here is one in good cosmetic order and extras with an adjustable bridge but "needs some work" and as you can see, Elderly decided to cut the price requested: https://www.elderly.com/products/kay...al-late-1960-s

Then this recent ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-KAY...-/333260961083
    Last edited by NickR; Oct-23-2019 at 3:49am.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Just to help date it, my Kay guitar has the identical painted-on headstock logo (w/ music stand) rather than the later metal applique shown in the '66 catalogue. It was delivered new by Santa Clause at Christmas of '63, and sold locally (Long Island, NY) for $29.95. It looks closest to the K5160 shown at $34.95 in the catalogue, except for having a fixed bridge. It would be about the quality-equivalent of your mandolin.

Blowing up the front photo seems to show the same soft brass (copper?) frets that mine has, and that I've never seen elsewhere. Guessing their dark color is due to limited playing time. Besides the typical fret grooves below the strings, my fingers have worn wide grooves between them!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson