Thread: Finger placement

Default Finger placement

I have been playing now for about a year. Taking Artistworks with Mike Marshall. Wonderful course. My trouble is when I am reading tabs or music I can't place my fingers on the proper frets. Either to short or to long. My fingers are big and fit the distance between the frets. Any help on how to practice the "feel" of where they should go. Thanks

Default Re: Finger placement

You might try practicing some scales without looking at your hands. That could help you get the feel of where the fingers should go. A couple of years back I remember someone suggesting practicing in the dark in response to a similar question. That forces you to do it by feel.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I would be suspicious of a technique issue.
    If you're not already approaching the fingerboard like a fiddle player (with fingers pretty much in line with the strings), spending some time developing that technique might help a lot.

As a teaching tool, even try playing those notes while holding the mandolin tail under you chin or against your chest, just to see where your fingers more naturally go.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I was always taught to set up all of my fingers when possible. For example, when playing 3rd finger then 2nd finger (on the same string), plant both fingers down. It comes down to a lot of practice sight reading and muscle memory. The more you practice without looking down the better.

Quote Originally Posted by mle.w View Post
    I was always taught to set up all of my fingers when possible. For example, when playing 3rd finger then 2nd finger (on the same string), plant both fingers down. It comes down to a lot of practice sight reading and muscle memory. The more you practice without looking down the better.
    I have never had any luck with that technique, or of leaving the fingers down when you play the next note up the scale (on the same string). Many books teach that, but I think being consistent and having one finger down at a time is much better. Practicing without looking is the key.